Chapter 13: Winning Bid

Lalaine and Athena shared awkward looks with each other as they were led by an attendant to where their friend was. It was like an endless maze of hallways and stairs, carpets worth more than their family's houses covered the hallways. They were sure that even that one ugly-looking vase at the bottom of the main stairs were more expensive than their family's generation.

"You better walk properly to avoid breaking anything." Lalaine whispered to her friend.

"I know that!" Athene replied with a hiss, "I'm scared of even touching anything!"

The two girls couldn't even admire the layout and decorations of the house as they were too busy making sure they wouldn't trip on their feet. This was only the second time they were able to set food inside the manor, and the first time, they had their friend with them.

Oh, they love their friend, alright. Although, it's really difficult to feel at ease in her residence when her entire family, when they are in within sight, were watching them like a hawk.

"You'll only be remaining as friends with my daughter because she never made friends with other kids we introduced. Do not be mistaken, we will be keeping a close eye on you two."

When they remembered what their friend's mother told them on their way home last time they came here, they suppressed a shudder. 

That woman was really scary when it comes to her daughter!

What baffled them was the reason why she made friends with them.

"You guys look like you'd be the type to be glad with just being there."

Which, to be honest, fair. And if that comes with being able to go to luxurious places like this? Count them in!

"We're here."

They snapped out of their whispered bickering as one of the butlers escorting them stopped in front of a double door. The man placed one hand on the handle as another one took the other side.

They smoothly opened the doors to reveal a grand room. Floor-to-ceiling windows with a beautiful chandelier. A grand piano sitting near the far corner to the right. A huge flat screen TV on the wall. Couches surrounding an oval living room table. Decorations filled the room, varying from paintings, books, flowers, vases, table lamps, sculptures, among many others.

'I bet I could sell even those curtains for millions of Yen.' Athena thought as she took in the sight of the room.

The TV was displaying some sort of show with a woman speaking on a mic.

"Next we have a beautiful gold ring, surrounded by 382 smaller mesmerizing 7 carat black diamonds. The Gruosi Green Diamond!"

The little girl sitting languidly on the middle couch facing the TV stirred from her position, eyes trained on the TV screen.

"- of South African origin. It is eclipsed only by the historic Dresden Green. The only other green diamonds of this caliber aside from the Dresden Green are the Ocean Dream, and the record holder for green diamonds, Aurora Green."

"No wayyy!! They're finally auctioning it?" The soft voice of the black-haired girl drifted into the air.

"Hi, Ana!!" Lalaine greeted as the two walked entered the room.

Amber-colored eyes turned to their direction, and a blooming smile soon greeted them back.

"'Laine! 'Thena!!" Ana did not leave her comfortable position as she gestured for them to sit on the couch next to hers, "Can you please get some snacks for us? Oh! And please ask them to make me some cookies and cream soufflé pancakes! I'm craving some right now."