Chapter 2: Fantasy vs Science

(A/N): Shout out to CossieCose for being the first ever reader of this book. Thank you, my friend.

Edited: Oct 1, 2023

___

Taiju had been collecting food and lifting heavy loads ever since he woke up, but there was nothing to complain about. He was lucky enough Senku had clothes for him. He knows his friend never lifted weights in his life, so he was very much happy to do the physical labor for his friend.

He showed all the baskets of his collection to Senku, who looked dryly at it.

"What a huge amount, Taiju. How can you have such an absurdly broken level of endurance, you bastard."

Taiju laughed, his confidence showing, but he stop once he saw Senku separating them in two small baskets almost the instant he showed it to hid friend.

"European Destroying Angel or Amanita Virosa, POISONOUS!"

This one was thrown on one basket.

"Hypsizygus Mamoreus, comestible!"

Thrown on the other basket.

"Fly Amanita or Amanita Muscaria, POISONOUS!"

One particular mushroom caught his attention.

"You can clearly see that it's not good, it looks like the mushroom from Mario! Mugwort, comestible!"

Now this, this one really took the cake.

"WOLF'S BANE! Who do you want to kill, you idiot?! You tryin' to kill us?!"

It was amazing how he found all of these just around the forest, but that's how mushrooms are.

Few minutes later, they're roasting the edible mushrooms and eating the cooked ones. Taiju's eyes lit up at the taste of it.

"DELICIOUS!! What's the seasoning?" He glanced at Senku, who was eating his food peacefully.

"Just salt from seawater. Humans can eat almost anything if it's salted. Salt is absolutely necessary for food preservation. It's one of the most important prehistoric discoveries."

Taiju couldn't thank the world enough for being Senku's friend, especially at a time like this. 

"Thank you Senku, for all! I'm not a genius, so I'll make up for it with volume and my fighting spirit!"

He stood up, picking up his now empty large basket, running to the other side this time. All while screaming to hype himself up.

"OOOOOOAAAAH! GATHERING THE OTHER SIDE!"

Senku just waved at the direction he went off to.

Taiju looked around for what he thinks are edible food this time. It was mildly challenging though, but at least he found some grapes.

"SOME WILD GRAPE!" He plucked out a bunch, "Is it edible?"

He tasted them, anyway.

"I'll know by eating it!"

He spat out the seeds when the nasty sour taste made itself known.

From just a few feet ahead, he spotted the cave he woke up from a few days ago, walking towards it.

"That cave is where I was lying for several millenia."

He stepped inside, seeing a pot sitting innocently down the ground.

"THIS IS!" He marvelled, "There are other survivors apart from me and Senku?! Who put it here?!"

From out of nowhere, Senku spoke up.