Chapter 8: Light the Beacon

Edited: Oct 30, 2023

___
"I'm still confused with how your hair stays up naturally..."

Ana hummed thoughtfully as she used a spare cloth to dry Senku's hair. The two were dressed in their dry clothes as they sat on nearby rocks a few meters away from the hot spring. Ana was sitting on a rock while Senku was on the ground so the girl could dry his hair all she want.

"It's just naturally like that." Senku dismissed as he showed her the bag of sulfur he collected, "Come take a look at this bunch I've collected so far!"

Senku slightly moved away from her as he reached for the bag, immediately leaning back to her space as he raised the bag up to show her excitedly.

"Mhmm! That seems plenty!" Ana grinned as she rested her hand on top of Senku's mostly dry hair, "By tomorrow, we would have more than enough in our collection!"

"Exactly! There are lots of uses for sulfur, so having some spare will be beneficial for us. Making gunpowder is just our main priority right now."

In the middle of his ramblings, Ana gently and slightly pushed Senku a bit to make space between the rock and his back. She easily slid between the space and pulled Senku close to her again so he was now leaning on her side.

"And to be honest, we really don't need this kind of plot twist in this stone world but that's what makes it exciting!" Senku continued, not even bothered at the close proximity, "Building civilization and speed-running it from the scratch is something I've never done but I'm looking forward on doing just that."

"And you have me."

"And I have you." Senku agreed without missing a beat.

"If you ask me to do anything, I'll do it."

"Just like that?"

"Since when have I not done anything you asked of me?"

Senku paused, really thinking about it.

"No time really comes up in my mind." He admitted, and then he smirked, "Thanks to you, I was able to proceed with my experiments that I would've had to wait for months or years to start because of the budget."

"You're always welcome!!" Ana replied happily as she leaned her head on his shoulder, "You've gotten a bit taller, huh."

"And I'm still gonna grow for the next few years." He replied smugly.

Senku yelped as he felt her poke at his side.

"Yeah, but your body's way too weak for this world. You should do some cardio." Ana snapped her fingers, "After this, I'll give you an easy workout routine you should follow regularly just to keep your body in shape, and to keep active."

"Do I have to?" Senku complained, "I'll be busy with all the experiments and other thin-"

"Nope! No complaining!" Ana cut him off, "Besides you know full well yourself that you need it! I can takeover your tasks, you know I can. So you'll be working out during that time."

Senku pouted.

There was comfortable silence between them for moments before it was broken by Taiju from the hot springs.

"Yuzuriha, I have to talk to you about the petrification incident! About 3700 years ago, when I called you out to meet under the Camphor tree."

Senku and Ana both had the same expression as they looked at each other to make sure if they both heard it right.