Shadow x Reader (G.U.N Mission)

I had been working with G.U.N for a while now. Of course, I was aware of the infamous Shadow the Hedgehog. He practically ran everything. He was also one of the best fighters, well, besides from me. Shadow and I have been competing for the best spot since I've been here. We've been neck and neck, but thankfully, I've never been assigned a case with him. Until today.

The boss wanted me up into his office. I assumed it was for another mission so I made my way up, cheerfully. Scheming of ways to beat the hedgehog.

But when I entered I was caught my surprise to see Shadow the Hedgehog already standing there. We've only had a few encounters with each other, because of the fact we never work together. It's not that we were never asked, we just refused. Both of us were too competitive to work alongside one another. I rolled my eyes at the hedgehog and made my way over to the desk, making sure to stay the furthest away possible from Shadow.

"You wanted to see me?" I broke eye-contact with the hedgehog, staring back at the man behind the desk. Shadow did the same.

"Yes, I have a new mission for you. It's extremely dangerous, though. Probably your toughest one yet." I crossed my arms. Nothing is too dangerous for me.

"Trust me, I'm fine. Let me just assemble my team-"

"No need. We have already." Now that pissed me off. The boss had agreed with my rankings I could always choose my team. Why have things suddenly changed?

"Sir, I will gather the best troops. I don't need assistance." I spat out, glaring at the hedgehog.

"This is not up for negotiation. You will work with who you are told, Y/N." The boss shouted back. I sighed and gave up.

"Fine. Who am I working with?"

"Why else do you think I'm here?" Shadow spoke up, emerging from the dark corner he was leaning on. I was furious at this point.

"Oh, hell no. Boss, I can't work with him." I hissed.

"You must and you will. Stop this stupid rivalry for once, and learn to work with each other, or else there will be consequences." The boss replied, fists clenched on the desk.

"Fine." I growled as I stormed out of the room. I decided to go look more into the case and headed for the storage room. Looking through the files, I found out we were on a hostage mission with Mephiles. He had apparently been taking people hostage so we wouldn't attack him. Too bad Shadow and I are going to anyway. I chuckled to myself as I continued to read through the file.

After I came back to the boss's office he had told me Shadow and I would deploy tomorrow. Given this information, I headed to the locker room and changed into gym clothes. I needed to train if we were going to be dealing with Mephiles. As I was putting on my tank top, the hedgehog entered the room. I assumed he had the same intentions.

I rolled my eyes and continued to get ready. I was tying my shoes when I heard his deep voice finally speak up.

"You know, I don't want this anymore than you do..."

"Whatever, Shadow. You better not disappoint tomorrow." The hedgehog seemed to be taken back by my statement.

"Really? If anything you'll be needing the rescuing, human. Go train so you don't embarrass yourself." I had a very short temper, and I'll be damned if he thinks he can boss me around like that.

"Who do you think you are? You know I'm at the same level as you, if not better. I don't take orders from you." I turned around to face the hedgehog, who was surprisingly only inches away from me.