Shadow x Reader (Graveyard)

Visiting my brothers grave was hard, I decided.

It wasn't too long after he had died, maybe a few weeks, and I was still overwhelmed with sadness. I made sure to always leave a little gift for him, even if he never saw.

Like flowers, or ribbons.

In other words, his gravestone was always filled with color and cheeriness.

But I could not say the same for the other gravestone I stumbled upon yesterday afternoon.

~Flashback~

Putting my phone back in my pocket I glanced upwards at the sky and looked downwards once more at his name on the stone before walking away.

As I walked amongst the other tombs, grief filled my being. So many people, so many dead people.

Just like my brother.

A tear fell from my eye.

Unintentionally snapping out of my wallowing, I noticed an awkward grave that had went unseen before. It was unkept and dirty. Seemingly as if no one cared for the corpse at all.

This somehow saddened me.

I walked over to the gravestone and decided to pay whatever respects I could, or to learn more information as to why it was so abandoned.

Shadow the Hedgehog
1993-2010

My brows furrowed at the information. The name was unfamiliar but the 'male' had just died this year.

So why was no one dropping off flowers of any sorts? Or at least keeping the stone clean?!

Being the decent human being I am, I squatted down to the gravestone and decided to have a little chat similar to the one with my brother, just extremely vague.

"Hey buddy, I'm sorry I'm just now noticing the untidiness..."

...

"I apologize that no one has come to visit you. It must feel awful to have no one keeping this area nice for you..."

...

"Well, fortunately for you, my brother has just passed away. I mean, not for me, but y'know...so I will gladly come and visit you whenever I see my brother or I'm in the area, okay?"

...

"Alright. Before I go I'll try and wipe some of this dust and dirt off but I don't think I can get all of it. Next time I'll come more prepared..."

...

That was all I had to say to 'Shadow' and I got on my knees to continue wiping the gravestone. I was eventually able to read the letters more clearly but there was a lot of moss and dirt that needed to be cleaned with supplies and not hands.

I would come better prepared tomorrow.

I uncrouched and took one last glance at the depressing sight before making my way towards the exit, not looking at another stone in fear of pitying another person.

~

Currently, I'm driving back to the graveyard and a part of me is feeling guilty for my thoughts being taken up by Shadow than my brother.

But who else was going to worry about him anyway.

I planned on having my usual conversation with my brother first, and then saving majority of my visit for cleaning Shadow's grave. I would probably do some talking as well, even though the hedgehog can't hear me. I guess a childish part of me just hopes he can, call me crazy.