twenty-five

9:37 PM

We made it to the pretty big house and the party was already started. Colorful lights were flashing through all the windows, toilet paper was strung through the trees, people were piling in and out, cars were everywhere. It was what I always pictured a house party to look like ever since I saw Project X.

We walked in and everyone's heads turned, but none of the girls noticed. It was like a normal thing for them by now. We all walked to the beverage area in the kitchen to make our drinks. Dinah took the liberty of making mine for me since I'm sure she knows I've never had a taste of alcohol in my life. Well, that's not true. I had wine once when I was younger but it didn't taste good to me.

"Here ya go, babe." Dinah said handing me a red solo cup.
"What's in it?" I asked innocently as I flicked my hair to one side of my head.
"Poison." She laughed.
I shrugged and took a sip of the 'poison'. The strong beverage stung my throat as it went down which caused me to make a grossed face. "Ew, people drink this shit?"
"That's just a screwdriver, mama." Dinah giggled taking in a gulp of her cup. "I could've gave you worse."

--

I had been babysitting my drink ever since we got to the party. Somehow, all the girls got separated from me. Well, Ally got pulled away by Troy, then Dinah and Camila went to the bathroom together but that was over 15 minutes ago. Normani was just nowhere to be found once we got to the house. So, I was stuck all alone in the corner of the kitchen slowly sipping my drink.

Someone stood beside me and leaned back on the tile counter. "Having fun?" His voice was kind of deep.
I shrugged, "Well, it could be better."
He turned towards me to reveal who he was with a smile, "Wow, that hurt my feelings y/n."
"Oh hey, Austin." I smiled back, "Sorry but the truth is the truth. I mean, this place is turnt but it's just that I'm not used to all of this."
"You wanna get some air then?" He asked comfortably.
I nodded not thinking twice. I kinda felt weird around all of our peers.

We walked out of the loud house into the quiet back yard. Green grass lined the full yard and a concrete pathway drove through the middle. At the end of the big pathway, there was a gazebo with a hammock strung across it.

My feet slightly swerved when I walked beside Austin to the gazebo. We had some small talk but nothing to be weird about. I stopped at the steps and Austin stood on the side with his hand out, "M'lady, if you don't mind."
I gave him a weird glance before taking his hand and letting him help me up the stairs, "Thanks, Austin."
He quickly followed me with a smile, "Anytime." His speech was slightly slurred, but nothing too bad.

I sat down on the hammock and he quickly followed me.
"I forgot to put the bench here before the party." He laughed taking a sip of his solo cup.
I nodded, "It's fine. It's better than sitting on your couch."
"What's wrong with my couch?" He asked sounding butthurt.
I smirked, "There were two people dry fucking each other on it. They were so fucked up they didn't know where they were."
A small giggle left his mouth, "Oh yeah that was Timothy and Lisa. They're something else." It got quiet again until he started talking, "Speaking of something else... You're dating Lauren, huh?"
"Woah, kid. That's personal." I smiled. "I don't even know you."
He shook his head, "No, no. I'm one of her friends. Well, I used to be. Before we got into some crazy mess." I didn't really know what he was talking about but I pretended that I did. "So, you are though?"
I nodded happily, "Yeah."
"You finally got her to settle down." He said flabbergasted. "She's always talked about how she wanted to be alone forever, but you change that. Good for you."
I smirked hearing his sincere words but I wasn't really sure how to process it, "Thanks, I guess."
"You're welcome." He solemnly said.

"So, how do you like the school?" He asked nonchalantly. To be honest, Austin seems like a nice kid. I don't understand why the girls hate him.
I shrugged taking another swig of the drink clutched in my hands, "It's alright, I guess. Not the worst place I've been."
"Wow, you're a real party person, huh?" He joked, slightly mumbling his words.
I nodded confidently, "Sure thing, Mahone. By the way, your name is pretty weird."
He looked at me when he brought the drink up to his mouth and his eyes sparkled in the moonlight, "I know, but it's fun as hell to say, huh?"
I thought about it for a second before I agreed, "It sure is."

He brushed back his hair with a smile and studied my face. For a second, I did the same but something caught my attention. The back door slid open revealing my girlfriend.

"Babe, you made it." I smiled tilting my cup slightly.
Lauren stomped over close to us, and grabbed my hand. "Get away from him, y/n. He's nothing but trash."
"Trash? Wow, such harsh words for your best friend since third grade, Laur." He replied while standing up and stretching his muscles.
"You know why you're trash, Austin. Now stay away from my girlfriend. You could at least have the decency to do that." She spat back at him while grabbing my hand.
He held his hands up in the air as if to say he had no issue following directions.

Lauren softly interlocked our fingers together and we went out to the back gate to stand on the side of the house. She stopped to sit me down on a old chair then squatted while looking over me. "Babe, you're drunk. Are you hurt?"
"Drunk? No, I don't think so Lauren." I smiled widely causing her to erupt in laughter which had a slight squeak in it.
"If you could only hear and see yourself right now, I think you'd understand where I'm coming from." She smiled before brushing my hair behind my ear. She grabbed the cup and looked into it, "What did you drink, babe?" She said slightly smelling the cup.
"I dunno. I think DJ said it was a pile driver." I answered honestly. Lauren slightly chuckled. "What's so funny?"
"Screwdriver, babe." She said trying to keep her composure.
I shrugged once again, "Potato, potato."

Lauren stood up from her squat and extended her hand, "Im gonna take you home with me."
I shook my head, "No. Your family is there, plus I told Camila Id stay at her house."
I grabbed Lauren's hand and we walked from the side of the house out into open view to hear a person at the front door.

"Lauren, let go of my friend. She needs to have a good time without her girlfriend around." The girl slurred.