thirty-seven

I got to school around the time I always do except I noticed that Lauren's bike wasn't in her spot.

I swear to God, that girl better just be running late or I'll flip a bitch. This presentation is important to both of our grades and we can't make it up. God, I hope this doesn't get fucked up.

I walked into Biology and noticed the seat in the back was empty. I shook my head and quickly took my seat before the bell rang.

Mr. Adams walked up to the front of the class and smiled, "Now. I'm gonna take roll and afterwards, I'll be calling you up one at a time to present your projects." I tried not to make eye contact so he wouldn't notice me but no luck. "Y/N, since your partner has yet to show before the tardy bell, I'm sure you'd be fine with presenting as a solo worker."
I sighed out sadly even though I don't want to, "Yes sir."

As he called roll, I kept hoping that Lauren would've just ran through the door but she didn't. She left me to present on my own. Oh God. When I see her, she's getting hell from me.

"Y/N, please come up and present your project on the heart." He smiled looking at his clipboard and taking a seat at his desk.

I grabbed the essay from my bag and mentally begged for the door to swing open.

Her parents are gonna flip out because her grade is going to turn to shit.

I turned towards my peers and looked down at the paper. "My topic was the heart. It's a muscular organ found in humans and animals that pumps blood through the vessels in the circulatory system. It also provides oxygen and nutrients to help you with your metabolic wastes." I paused to look over the paper. I need her here. "The heart is divided into four chambers. The first is the upper left and right atria. The second part to those chambers are the left and-"

The class door opened and I turned in the hopes that it would be Lauren, but it was only a teacher. She walked in with a sad face and over to give Mr. Adams a note and whisper to him. He spoke up, "Y/N, please take your stuff and go to the office with Ms. Gonzales."

Fuck yes. I don't have to present. Maybe this will give Lauren a chance to actually show up.

I followed her to the office and she did her best to not make eye contact with me and I didn't understand why. Did I have something on my face?

I walked in to see my Mom and Dad who had red puffy eyes. I was shocked, "Oh my God. Are you two alright?"
Mom shook her head and got up to be face to face with me, "No. Honey, we have some very bad news that we need to tell you. I think it's best if you sit down."
"I don't wanna sit." I rebelled then the thought hit me, "Oh my God. Is it Nonna? What happened. Tell me."
"Sweetie, this morning. There was an accident."
I still didn't get what she was trying to say, "Mom. Spit it out."

She sighed out and tried to control herself, "Lauren was driving to school this morning and a drunk semi driver hit her bike."
I looked at her with unbelief, "You're joking right? Because if you're joking, this isn't funny at all. You don't just say stuff like this."
Mom shook her head, "I wish I was sweetie."
"Is she okay? Come on, we gotta go see her." I said grabbing her wrist and trying to pull her but she stopped me.
"Lauren is... she's gone, sweetie." Her voice was trembling. I couldn't believe it.
"Stop playing like this, Mom. It's not okay." If she's fucking with me, she's doing it in a morbid fashion.
"I wish I were joking, honey. Her parents called me just a little while ago and I rushed here to get you to-"
"Stop! Okay. Lauren isn't dead. What the hell is wrong with you?" I bit at my Mom and stormed out of the school.

I hurried to pull my phone out of my pocket and dial my girlfriend.

She's going to answer this phone and everything is going to be okay. She always answers when I call and when she doesn't, she calls right back.