thirty-seven (alternate ending)

I got to school around the time I always do except I noticed that Lauren's bike wasn't in her spot.

I swear to God, that girl better just be running late or I'll flip a bitch. This presentation is important to both of our grades and we can't make it up. God, I hope this doesn't get fucked up.

I walked into Biology and noticed the seat in the back was empty. I shook my head and quickly took my seat before the bell rang.

Mr. Adams walked up to the front of the class and smiled, "Now. I'm gonna take roll and afterwards, I'll be calling you up one at a time to present your projects." I tried not to make eye contact so he wouldn't notice me but no luck. "Y/N, since your partner has yet to show before the tardy bell, I'm sure you'd be fine with presenting as a solo worker."
I sighed out sadly even though I don't want to, "Yes sir."

As he called roll, I kept hoping that Lauren would've just ran through the door but she didn't. She left me to present on my own. Oh God. When I see her, she's getting hell from me.

"Y/N, please come up and present your project on the heart." He smiled looking at his clipboard and taking a seat at his desk.

I grabbed the essay from my bag and mentally begged for the door to swing open.

Her parents are gonna flip out because her grade is going to turn to shit.

I turned towards my peers and looked down at the paper. "My topic was the heart. It's a muscular organ found in humans and animals that pumps blood through the vessels in the circulatory system. It also provides oxygen and nutrients to help you with your metabolic wastes." I paused to look over the paper. I need her here. "The heart is divided into four chambers. The first is the upper left and right atria. The second part to those chambers are the left and-"

The class room door opened and I turned to see Lauren. Except she wasn't all clean cut and mysterious like she usually is. It was like she hadn't slept all night and she rushed to get to class.

"Ah, Lauren." Mr. Adam's said, looking over from the student desk he was at to grade us as we showed our projects. Lauren kissed my cheek as she hurried over to hand in her late slip she got from the office. "I guess you two can go next while you both review over your project before showing it to the class."

I let out a slight breath breath of relief and hurried to the back of the class to take a seat next to the disheveled Lauren. I scooted up close to her chair so I could just talk in her ear and be quiet enough for the class to hear the other students perform in the basically deafening silent class. The air conditioning would come on and fill some noise in the quiet room, but during these final projects, we were all kind of worriedly quiet because we slacked off just enough to barely pass.

"Why were you late?" I asked her.

"First, my alarm didn't go off, but my little sister goes to school later than us so she just so happened to come into my room to steal a pair of my shoes last minute before getting picked up, and saw that I was dead asleep. I honestly had never slept that hard in my life. I don't know what came over me." I could tell she felt a little bad. She even looked like she was still exhausted and could sleep a whole other eight hours. "But then when I got on my bike to speed to get on the highway there was a detour. Some pickup truck was about to turn left onto the highway and a semi just went right through them. I mean, pieces to the pickup truck were just everywhere. So, I just had to drive down and get on the highway from another street."

My eyes were wide because it sounded like a bad wreck, "I wonder if anyone survived."

"I doubt it. It looked bad." She frowned.