Chapter 4: "Grow up, Harris."

I pick Lydia up from her house as usual. When she sat in the passenger seat, I immediately tensed up. She must be up to something because I made a mistake, or she wanted to smack nonsense into my face. It's our habit to fight every morning, "I saw you talking to Joy last night. How did that happen?"

"Oh yeah? I saw you talking to a guy after we had sex last night. How did that happen?" I shot back at her, and she pouted.

"Not fair," Lydia said and pouted.

"How is that not fair, Lydia?" I narrowed my eyes at her and back to the road.

"I had sex with you, and you forgot about it, and then you suddenly got all friendly with Joy."

"What's with the obsession with my senility?" I asked in sarcasm, "it's not healthy, Lydia."

"Says the one who got amnesia after we had sex."

"You know? I can fuck you right now, and I bet it'd be better than last night," I said.

"Don't get too cocky now, babe."

"Can't even have a lovely morning, huh?" I muttered to myself.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing," I said, and when I arrived at school, I parked the car, "do you have cheerleaders practice today?"

"No, but we do have to give out flyers to the freshman today," Lydia explained, and I nodded in understanding. She leaned closer to me and kissed my lips. She whispered, "I love you, baby."

I sighed and caressed her cheeks, "I love you too."

"Wait," I said, stopping Lydia before she got inside the building, "I need to ask you something."

Lydia tilts her head, "What is it?"

"Why aren't you wearing your necklace?" I said as I touched my necklace.

"Oh, I didn't want to look like a masochist. Like, it's a padlock," Lydia laughed.

"but-" I stopped. It's no use to argue about it, "okay, thanks for telling."

Lydia and I went inside the building, and we separated into our classes. Then I met Jessie on my way, "getting all tense with Lydia. I see nothing new."

"Shut up," I said to Jessie, and we entered our class.

***

The day's last class ended by the bell, and all of the students marched to the door while the teacher screamed, "Don't forget we're going to start the first chapter tomorrow!"

As I walked out of the class, the hallway was packed with people—the jocks marched to the gym, and the nerds talked while the jocks mocked them. The usual couple is making out on the locker when the owner of the lockers is trying to put their books. And Jessie is walking towards me, "so, what's the agenda for today?"

"I was going to check on my girl and... I don't know. Do you have an idea?"

She looked up to the ceiling and thought of an idea, "I have a photography club meeting, but I'm thinking of bailing out. How about we smoke weed at Jake's place?"

"Hard pass."

"What? You used to down for weeds," Jessie pouted.

"Yeah, since Lydia hates them, I stopped."

"Day by day, she grew up to be uptight," Jessie growled and walked to her locker. We found Lydia and Joy at a small booth giving out some flyers to the freshman girls, "speak of the devil. There she is."