Chapter 5: "... It's not a crime to watch a theatre."

!WARNING: Mentioning suicide!

***

Monday comes by pretty fast. I wasted my weeks by strolling down the neighbourhood without Lydia interrupting my peace and listening to music like an emo kid. Furthermore, I can't keep my mind off Joy all weekend too. I hadn't met her for two days, which caused me anxiety. What if Martin hurt her? What if her dad too? And I haven't got dreams about Joy for two days.

After four hours of school, Jessie had to run an errand: a photo session with the theatre club, "tell me why you need to photo the theatre club while they're rehashing?" I asked Jessie while I helped her carry her camera.

"I'm doing this for my scholarship, dude!" She gave me a piece of paper. I read in the article that CalArts noticed Jessie for scholarship application.

"Oh my God, Jessie, this a great news! Oh my God," I was impressed by Jessie, who got offered a scholarship, and I hugged her in front of the theatre door.

"Thanks. FYI, I'll be a busy girl starting for today," Jessie let go of my hugs and entered the theatre. Then there was dark, and the only light was the stage. I didn't see many people watching the rehearsal, and I assumed the audience was club members. The other members were coordinating the actors who would be playing.

"And I'll be your number one supporter," I said as I gave her the camera, "but what would you get from taking a picture of the theatre club?"

She shrugged, "I'm just going to picture anything, and I mean anything, anything, including the cheerleaders for my portfolio."

I nodded in understanding. While Jessie was busy taking a photo, I sat in the middle row seat. They were playing Heathers where before J.D saw Veronic, who looked like she hanged herself- which she's not. The guy who acts as Jason Dean starts to sing, "Meant to be yours."

"All is forgiven, baby! Come on, get dressed. You're my date to the pep rally tonight!" the guy unfolds a piece of paper from his pocket.

"You chucked me out like I was trash,

For that you should be dead—

But! But! But!

Then it hit me like a flash,"

The guy opened his arms wide like a psychotic,

"What if high school went away instead'

Those assholes are the key!

They're keeping you away from me!

They made you blind, messed up your mind

But I can set you free!"

Well, it's fun to see their play, but I was interrupted by the voice in my head, "They look cool," Joy? I turned around the stage to see the blonde, but I found nothing. I checked the door, and I saw her head peeking through the door. She looked embarrassed getting caught and immediately closed the door.

"Wait!" I ran to the door and stopped her from leaving, "Hey, what are you doing here?"

"Nothing?" Joy replied and fidgeting with her finger.

"W- were you watching the play?" I asked in disbelief.

"No!" Joy immediately answered, but I could sense the guilt inside her. I know it's the opposite of her answer, "no, no, no..." she shook her head.

"Oh, don't lie to me. I can see your nose growing five inches," I teased her, and I could see her ears and her cheeks getting redder, "come on. It's not a crime to watch a theatre."