Chapter 41: "Shut up, shut up. Shut. Up!"

***

CLAUDE'S P.O.V

Ever since that day, Joy has... Changed. She grew into a mental state of not caring about anything. We don't even go on dates or even meet each other. Every time I waited for her to finish her cheer practice, she would ignore me and leave. Lydia even questioned our status, but we're still together. It's just... what happened that night changed everything.

Also, that night I had to tell Dion when he took me home about the abuse that Joy had experienced. I still remember his disappointment in me because I didn't say anything to him. He trusted me to keep Joy safe, but I couldn't tell him about Martin's bad habit toward Joy.

Today, I feel awful going to class. I intended to skip school today, but my mom insisted I attend. Not only did I feel sick, I felt something terrible about to happen, and that feeling was the worst feeling I've ever felt.

"Dude, you look like a zombie," Jessie said after closing her locker.

"Do I?" I cringed at myself as I checked through my camera phone.

"Hey, Claude," Lydia appeared beside me suddenly.

"Lydia, hi. How are you?" I asked. After she had the abortion, we never spoke of it or said anything to each other. But now she's her greeting me.

"I'm better, thanks for asking," Lydia said with a smile, "I have a question. I heard Joy's having a birthday party at her place tonight. Is it true? I'm just making sure."

"What?" Jessie and I said simultaneously.

"Don't tell me you don't know?" Lydia came closer to us, "I didn't expect her to live in a rich neighborhood though, see you tonight."

I thought to myself. Joy's having a party at her place, but what about her father? Dion? Or she being secretive about her life? I'm happy that she's deciding to be open about her life but not this fast after that night occurs.

Why didn't she tell me about this?

I took my phone and texted her, "Lydia told me you threw a birthday party at your place. Why didn't you tell me?"

Hours after hours, no text appeared on the phone—just a notification from Jess about a cat. Even in English class, she ignored me. I was about to approach her, but she was gone. I tried to infiltrate her mind, but I failed to do so. I asked her friends, but they only said, "we will meet Joy at her place tonight."

Whatever her plan is. I will confront her tonight.

***

"Holy shit. When you told me she was rich, I didn't know she was this rich."

"She wouldn't have bought me ps5 if she's not filthy rich," I said, parking the car at my usual spot.

As I was about to open the door, someone opened it for me and said, "Ms Harris, thank God you're here. Please, Joy is out of control, and the party I- is-"

"Calm down, Benson."

"Holy shit, a butler?!" Jessie was shocked to see Benson, a butler for Joy.

"Shut it, Jess," I said and back my attention to Benson, "what's wrong?"

"Chaos, Miss Harris. It's chaos. I don't know what to tell Mr Wright about this!" Benson said to me animatedly.

"Aren't you a secret agent, Benson? How can you not control a bunch of high schools?" I asked, "anyway, can't you keep this away from Joy's father?"

"Was, and I can't. The problem is, Mr Wright is coming here. You can imagine what he would do to Joy when he sees this," Benson said like he was defending Joy from catastrophe. I mean, he's right. Joy would be in trouble if Wayne knew about this.