Chapter 24: "fate is a strong word."

"So, what do you think of my sister?"

I squinted my eyes at him. It's weird for him to ask, "what do you mean? She's excellent and beautiful, if that's what you mean."

"No, I hope that she's enough for you," Dion said in embarrassment.

"Oh, please. I should be the one worrying if I'm not enough for your little sister. I mean, she's fragile, and I'm scared if I treat her the wrong way."

"I saw how you and Martin treated her, and I choose you more than Martin," Dion spoke.

"Martin doesn't deserve Joy. He mistreats her," I said, sipping my wine. Does he know that Martin abused her? I try to keep my mouth shut from telling him that Martin used her. It's not my place to say the news, and he should know it straight from Joy.

"You know? I've always been the protective brother for Joy. I always caught Joy hooking up with someone somewhere, and I always scare them away. And I've never in my entire life agreed with Martin as her fiance," Dion sighed in fatigue, "I always talk to my father to cancel their marriage. But it didn't work," he laughs pathetically as he finishes his scotch.

"And when I learned about the soulmate thing on Joy. I was happy thinking that my sister would receive something she wanted," He continued.

"That is?" I asked.

"A true love," he answered, "The only thing she asked for."

I looked down and thought about what Dion said. I settled down my glass and looked down at the people in the backyard talking. I saw Joy talking with someone along with Emilia by her side.

The only thing she asked for was true love. Do you know what's pathetic? Her father knows what it feels like to marry the love of his life, but he doesn't let his daughter marry someone she loves. I looked around to see if her father and I found him talking with a couple of men. Wayne, why do you do this to your daughter? Do you know how hurt she is by her fiancee? If you see that her fiancee had abused her that you've chosen, would you cancel their marriage?

Then something came to my mind, and I had to ask him, "Dion, can I ask you something?"

"Go ahead," he said as he poured both of our glasses some wine.

"Can I tell Joy about the soulmate thing?" a straightforward question came out of my mouth, making him stop what he was doing at the moment.

"No," he answered concisely.

"Why?"

"You just can't," Dion sighed, and he gave me the glass, "you can say it romantically, but you will never tell the absolute truth about the soulmate thing."

"But, doesn't she deserves to know?"

Dion put his left hand on his hips, and his right hand brought his glass to his lips, "we don't know what the future holds. We don't know how Joy would react."

"What's the worst thing that could happen?"

"She'd think you're joking, or you're crazy, or she'll think you have schizophrenia," Dion leaned closer to me and whispered, "the worst-case scenario that could happen is she walking away from you."

I wouldn't want that to happen to me.

"But if we were apart, fate would bring us back," I said. He cringed at my response, "what? Do you think I'm joking?"

"If it's fate. Then why did your future self go back in time and try to fix your mistake?! I suspect the Harris inside of you is laughing after hearing you say," Dion was starting to get irritated. He's right. In the future, I failed to complete my task of making Joy my girlfriend before graduation. Dion bites the inside of his cheeks before speaking, "fate is a strong word. I would say it's more of a destiny. Do you know the difference between them?"