Chapter 18: "it's a date then."

CLAUDE'S P.O.V

Day has passed, and before I know it, Halloween and Thanksgiving have passed. Halloween was boring anyway, and so is Thanksgiving. After Martin picked up Joy on Homecoming night, I rarely saw her at any party except Halloween, and she got home before eleven. I mean, who comes home from a party before midnight? I know she always comes home from a party after midnight.

Also, after that day, we haven't talked anything about what her brother said, and I quote, "Saving me from Martin."

I always tried to talk to her, but she avoided the topic. The only thing I could speak to her about was a play for the winter recital. Mrs. Anna told us to write a story about anything, and the best story will be chosen for the winter recital. I know Joy wanted so badly to write a story that whenever I talk to her about it, I can see her eyes gleamed. I always admire her whenever she talks about something she loves.

"So this play is about a Princess who had to marry another prince but ended up with her gardener?"

"Yes!" Joy said, smiling.

Because she wouldn't talk to me anywhere, and the only place I could speak with her in is English class. I put my chin on my hand as my arm rested on the table, "Hmm, interesting. The fact that it's a musical play made it more intriguing."

Joy sighed and pressed her cheeks with her hands, "But I'm not sure Mrs. Anna would choose mine."

I leaned back and put my hands on my chest in shock, "are you kidding me? You keep saying that a million times now, and I'm going to say this another million times. Your story is perfect, and I'm convinced that Mrs. Anna is on something if she didn't choose yours."

"You know she's right," Rebecca said next to Joy as she chewed her bubble gum with the script in her hand, "this is a masterpiece, Joy. You should be proud of yourself."

"Did you read it?" Joy raised an eyebrow, and Rebecca shrugged.

"I didn't read all of them, but hearing it from Harris sounds interesting," Rebecca said and whispered, "is the gardener hot?"

"I'll try to find the perfect guy," Joy said as she wiggled her eyebrows.

"Then, I agree that Mrs. Anna is on something if she didn't choose yours," Rebecca said as she nodded her head in pride.

"She gets it," I said, pointing at Rebecca.

"Here it goes then," Joy said as she took a sharp breath. She stood up and walked to the teacher's desk with the script in her hand. When Mrs. Anna read the paper, I saw her nodding her head and pursing her lips in amusement. Joy thanked the teacher and walked back to us. Rebecca and I crossed our fingers to Joy as she smiled.

As I predicted, Mrs. Anna chose Joy's story as the teacher announced it from the school speaker. I was happy that her story was chosen; it's like someone noticed her potential, unlike her father, who only wants her daughter to marry a sociopath he doesn't even know. Also, Joy asked me personally to accompany her to the audition, and I happily complied.

For the past months, I haven't dreamed about Joy's memories because Kinsley thought I knew most of her past, and it's enough for me to know something about her. I still visited Kinsley inside the mind palace by drinking a whole bottle of whiskey or smoking weed until I passed out, and every time I saw her, she always played random songs. Andromeda and lots gonna by Wayes Blood, You, dear by Eloise, Lover, please stay by Nothing But Thieves, and Miel by November Ultra.

I'm here with Joy sitting on the auditorium stage, staring at the auditioner's CV after the audition. I didn't know it was this hard to choose the actors. I wonder how the director of Friends chooses the perfect actors.