XVII

Jay

"Why are you always frowning?"

I then felt his hands touch my face. I guess he enjoyed the outing too much. I opened my eyes and he immediately smiled at me before running to my table and came back with some milk tea.

Now don't get me wrong, I also don't know what my favorite milk tea flavor. Heck I don't even know when is the last time I had one of these.

"This tastes amazing. . ."

Upon saying that, his eyes immediately sparkled as if he's been waiting for me to say that and I almost let out a smile but I moved that thought back because I remembered how I am supposed to be seen. I am someone they should not go easy on.

"Yes! . . . I thought you wouldn't like it but I'm glad you do. . . oh by the way, Sunoo hyung told me that he has money because he is working . .  I also want to work so that I can have money. And if I have money, I can buy Sunoo hyung and Niki something nice. I might even buy the phone like yours. . . oh and I want to take Sunoo hyung and Niki to somewhere nice too. . Jay do you know how I can have a job?"

His face is really close as he asked me that making me back away. Just how much courage this kid have?

"Tell me, what can you do?"

He sat down beside me for a moment before looking down after a long thinking moment.

"I don't know . . ."

He pouted as he fidgets with his fingers. Maybe giving him something to do will make his life here on land easier.

"Oh I know . . remind me about that job toninght ok? I'll think of something. ."

He smiled before he went back to my table and took out a carrot plushie from the paper bag and ran back to me.

"Riki got me these. . isn't he the best?"

"You like carrots that much?"

"Mhmm. . . plus this one has a smiley face .  "

"Good that you're having fun"

How can this be happening? I mean, how can he possibly be this comfortable with me and I with him?

"Can you come with me to the mall next time? . . It is so fun and I think you'll love it. *whispers*. maybe you will smile a bit"

"You know what, I'll bring you somewhere more fun next time ok? . . you see I have some things to take care of. You can rest here until we can go home"

"Ok . . . come quick?"

"Ok"

I took his hand which is surprisingly soft by the way considering he's a mermaid and he spent his life under the sea, before I brought him in my spare room where the bed is so he can sleep.

"You can rest here and wait for me"

He laid down as I fixed his blanket.

"Thank you for taking care of me despite me being a stranger . . you're a good person Jay"

His eyelids slowly shuts and I let out the breath I was holding back.

"I'm sorry Carrots. . I'm not like that . . ."

I closed the door as I fixed myself for a consultation with my dad then I will be paying Sunoo and Riki back for the money they used a while ago. I bet they spent some amounts.