27

— seeing zuko, again

earth.

the gaang entered a train that was supposed to be bringing them into the city's inner wall. the ride so far was pretty smooth and the train was surprisingly clean.

stumpy sat on the girls lap fast asleep. senna looked over at aang who was staring out the window in defeat.

"we'll find him, aang. don't worry." she said, softly.

he looked at senna sadly, "it's such a big city."

sokka tried to encourage aang, "he's a giant bison! where could someone possibly hide him?"

at that very moment, they emerged from the tunnel in the inner wall, revealing the majestic city.

"oh."

the train stopped and the group all hopped off the train. senna looked around. it took her a moment to realize she was in the biggest city in the world.

"back in the city, great." toph groaned.

"what's your problem? it's amazing!" the dual bender gushed, literally falling in love with the city.

"it's just a bunch of walls and rules. you wait, you'll get sick of it in a couple days."

senna shrugged and continued looking around until she noticed a short woman coming toward them.

"hello, my name is joo dee! i have been given the great honor of showing the avatar around ba sing se. and you must be sokka, katara, toph and senna! welcome to our wonderful city. shall we start?" she said with enthusiasm as fake as her smile.

"yes, we have information about the fire nation army that we need to deliver to the earth king, immediately." sokka said.

"great! let's begin our tour. and then i'll show you to your new home here. i think you'll like it!"

he looked at her confused and tapped her shoulder, "maybe you missed what i said. we need to talk to the earth king about the war, it's important."

"you're in ba sing se now. everyone is safe here."

the five of them all stared at her. she proceeded to show the group around the various neighborhoods, shops, restaurants and landmarks of the city. senna was the only one who seemed to be enjoying herself.

"the upper ring is home to our most important citizens. your house is not too far from here!"

"what's inside the wall?" senna asked, pointing to a beautifully decorated wall.

"and who're the mean-looking guys in robes?" sokka added.

"inside is the royal palace. those men are agents of the dai li, the cultural authority of ba sing se. they are the guardians of all our traditions!"