29

Empty seat, empty space, empty bed.
He was gone, though it still felt like there was something that he left behind. Could it have been his scent that still lingered on her white cardigan that she wore the day she hugged him? Maybe she still felt his tight grip on her. The ghost of his smile traced her mind. She didn't even need to activel think of him and yet Norman ws all she could think about. But (Y/N) wasn't the only one who suffered this badly.

Emma was sat constantly under the big tree where the group would always either joke around, study or enjoy the sun. Though her leg was still broken, she could hardly move anyways. Her chin always deeply buried in her chest as her eyes kept a gaze straight into her unfliching hands. Was it perhaps shame she felt? That she was not able to safe her friend? It was weird to see Emma depressed like this, as it was a rare sight, so she has been constantly surrounded by the worried kids these past few days.
Ray on the other hand never left the library. He wouldn't even care to come to the breakfast table and eat anything. (Y/N) has noticed that he had kept the lights dark, never bothering to bring candles. It must've hit him just as hard.

Placing down the tray of cookies that (Y/N) stole from the lunch table, she sat down at the table, a seat across from Ray, who slumped down with his arms crossed. Shoving the cookies gently towards him, she smiled, hoping he would look up at meet her warm expression. "You should eat something Ray...", she started, "-I've noticed you didn't come to breakfast and lunch today, so I figured you'd be hungry.", it were the little steps that brought someone to complete victory, so what the girl decided to do, was a slow attempt at a conversation and feeding him. Letting the try slide more into his direction, she indicated for him to take one and eat. She took one first.
"I'm sorry", a slow and silent mumble.

"Sorry?"

"I'm sorry.", now  a bit more firm, he didn't dare to look up. Not into the judgment of her stare "I'm not going to be able to get you out of here, (Y/N)", his voice hoarse, but the girl still understood what he said. "What do you mean, Ray?"
I've gone through possibilities of getting you and Emma or at least just you out of here, but all seem to end with failure.", a deep sigh, "The last possibility is that I could talk to Mother about it but other than that..", another sigh. It took him a while to gather his thoughts, gather the courage to break the news of his mind to her, gather the courage to break his promise to the one and only.
"We should just give up and die."

The bell rang, mother must be done preparing little snacks for everyone, though Ray and (Y/N) didn't let that bother them. "Give up and die?"
"Yes", responded Ray.
"After everything we all had planned Ray?", his head fell into his hand, a gesture he has been doing a lot due to the stress, "After everything that probably Norman went through?", (Y/N) voice grew louder, "Do you think this is what he would've wanted?!", standing up, she abruptly stomped over to Ray. He noticed her aggressive stance almost immediately, the second the stool scraped against the wood making an unpleasant sound. Looking up his eyes locked on to her fierce yet hurt (E/C) orbs. They were glistening, he noticed. Was she determined? On his second thought he noticed though, that the glistening reflection distracted from her pale red sclera- she has been crying and she was close to breaking down again. In that moment he noticed, how selfish he must've been after Normans death. Leaving Emma alone and leaving (Y/N) alone. Their friendship slowly breaking down as (Y/N) tried to break through to Emma and Ray at the same time, he noticed how god damn selfish he was. "(Y/N)-", interrupted by herfand grabbing his collar, he quickly gone from a straight sitting position to jumping on his feet, as she pulled him down to her height. "No shut up!", she yelled, "Why can't we just keep fighting?", it was as if her eyes were searching for answers in his darker ones, "Why can't we just try again?!", (Y/N) grip was desperate, so firm yet fragile holding on to him as if he was the last thing in the world before she would meet eternal void, "Please Ray, just--"

"Oh, there you are, (Y/N)", shutting off her sentence it was Mother who stood in the doorway, bell still in hand. "Hello Ray.", she nodded towards him, smiling while remembering a conversation with the boy when he was younger, how he was slowly developing a small crush on the girl. If the situation was right, Isabella would've pointed out how close they were standing to each other, but she still stifled a small laugh that she held back by her free hand. "(Y/N)-dear, I was looking for you, would you care to join me for a small walk up to my office? You don't need to enter, it will be quick.", softening her tight grip on Ray, her expression screamed disbelief and anxiety. Noticing, Ray quickly hugged her, whispering a quick "You'll be fine.", while letting his lips rest by the crook of her ear. Remaining in that sweet position for a second, which felt longer, Ray broke their embrace and gently shoved (Y/N) into Isabellas direction. The woman turned around and held the door open, (Y/N) stumbled behind and glanced one last time back to Ray.
Things were moving too fast for the girl to comprehend.
While Isabella closed the door behind them, they started walking towards her office "What a ruckus, no need to scream like that.", smiling down to the girl who kept her head low, Isabella continued "A lady doesn't raise her voice, though yet again, I do understand.", taking a hold of the girls shoulder Isabellas look changed to a sympathetic one "I can see that you are in pain, (Y/N). Escape attempts with your siblings are futile, you must accept their deaths.", stopping in her tracks, she stopped the girl, "I want you to give up, darling.", Isabella crouched down, letting her palm gently trace (Y/N) hot cheek "You have a future, sweetheart, your past will hold you back."
"You really want me to leave my family behind and just move on?"

Seeing herself when she was still a child with the same thoughts Isabella knew what the girl was going through. Though her situation was different. "I had to give up the one I love as well, (Y/N)", straightening her back she walked her way to the office alone, "If I can do that, you can do that too."