Chapter 6 - The Moon Sure is Beautiful Tonight

The Next Day

Departing from Giyuu's house, the two slayers discussed the details of the mission as Giyuu hadn't received the notice from his crow. They were to head to a town 20 miles away from the capital and investigate the reports made about a potential nest.

"So that's it?" Giyuu asked.

"Sure is, people have been disappearing at quite a high rate so it's best we get there as quick as possible. Shall we take the train?" She asked sweetly.

"That would be most effective." Giyuu answered.

"Tomioka-san?" Shinobu asked, getting no response.

"Tomioka-san?" She repeated poking him in the shoulder with her finger.

"Seems rude to ignore someone who nursed you back to health yesterday." She teased.

"What is it?" He finally replied, rolling his eyes in the process.

"We all appreciate your efforts, but please do take care of yourself." She said kindly.

Shocked, Giyuu didn't know how to respond, stunned at the sudden compliment.

Shinobu noticing the silence turned and got close to him poking him in the chest.

"ara ara, Tomioka-san are you perhaps flustered? How cute." She said, laughing and turning around beginning to walk towards the train station.

Giyuu trailed behind her a blush clearly present on his face.

They made their way to the train station without issue. The two remained in an uncommon comfortable silence, Shinobu seemingly satisfied with her teasing for the moment. After a few hours travel they arrived at the train station at the capital.

"Tomioka-san this is the closest station, we'll have to get off here, we'll make the rest of the trip on foot." She cheerily said beginning to walk off the train.

"Oh, okay." Giyuu said nervously.

The two walked together through the city, Shinobu continually asked him questions that he didn't answer. 

It was busy, hordes of people moving store to store always seeming to be in a rush. They turned down a slightly less populated street, vendors lined the sides of the street attempting to sell anything from jewellery to food. Giyuu looked around his eyes never staying in one place, he was clearly distracted and nervous. He kept walking straight until he felt himself walk into a small person.

"Sorry." He quietly said before looking down, quickly realising he had walked into Shinobu who had turned to face him.

"Now I've come to terms with you ignoring me but you're clearly uncomfortable, what's wrong Tomioka-san?" Shinobu asked.

"Can we please just continue?" Giyuu pleaded.

Shinobu was shocked, he sounded desperate and afraid, a far cry from his typical demeanour.

"Why Tomioka-san? Do you sense some form of danger?" She asked looking him in the eyes. The usual calm and still ocean of blue that was his eyes showed signs of panic.

"No, I just don't like it here, can we please go Kocho?" He asked.

"Oh, I understand, an anti-social person like you wouldn't do well around so many people." She laughed back deciding he had avoided her teasing for long enough.

"Kocho." He said firmly and grabbing her arm.

She was startled but kept her famous smile.

"Can we please just leave?" He said almost begging.