Chapter 46 - Enmu's Nightmare

With Tanjiro

Tanjiro looked around at the snowy forest around him and cursed himself. He had cut his neck and woken up from the same dream so many times, yet the demon always put him back.

I won't be able to kill it like this. All I'm doing is stalling for time. How can I avoid the eyes? Tanjiro thought.

Tanjiro raised the sword to his neck and cut it once again.

After opening his eyes he was back on the train.

"INO..." Tanjiro attempted to yell out.

His yell was cut off as he made eye contact with the demon once again and was put back to sleep.

Waking up back in the same forest Tanjiro yelled in anger.

"HOW CAN I BEAT HIM!" Tanjiro yelled.

It's the eyes, it has to be. I just have to make sure my eyes are closed. Tanjiro thought.

He sliced his neck again and woke up on the train. Unfortunately, his determination did not yield results as his body immediately opened his eyes.

"Go to sleep." He heard and was instantly back in his dream.

"COME ON JUST KEEP YOUR EYES CLOSED!" Tanjiro yelled.

He sliced his neck again but failed to close his eyes.

"Go to sleep."

*Slash*

"Go to sleep."

*Slash*

"Go to sleep."

*Slash*

I need to focus. Just keep your eyes closed. Tanjiro thought.

He brought his sword to his neck and prepared to cut again when he saw Inosuke slash though the fleshy mound and grab his wrist.

"This isn't a dream, it's reality." Inosuke said.

Tanjiro was shocked and moved his sword away from his neck.

Then I almost.... Tanjiro thought.

"Don't die such a lame death." Inosuke commanded.

Inosuke then began to laugh and slash through some more flesh, cutting the eyes off from their source of power. Tanjiro saw the colour drain from the eye balls and began to slash at some as well.

"It's because I'm wearing the hide of the king of the mountain. Stupid demon is too scared to face a real king." Inosuke said.

I see, it's probably because the demon can't tell where he's looking. Tanjiro thought.

Inosuke continued to slash wildly at the eyeballs while Tanjiro looked around, trying to formulate a plan for how they could kill this demon.

As Inosuke continued to cut Tanjiro heard the sound of running steps and panicked breathing and turned towards the noise. The train conductor he had just rescued was desperately running towards Inosuke.

Initially Tanjiro assumed it was for protection, but his eyes widened as he saw the man brandishing a knife similar to the children earlier.

Him too? Tanjiro thought

"Don't you dare get in the way of my dream!" The man yelled.

Tanjiro gathered up all of his strength and pushed it down into his legs, propelling himself forward at an insane speed.