Chapter 39 - The Recovery Begins

2 Weeks Later with Giyuu

Giyuu sat alone on top of a building, surveying the area. Another solo mission, though he didn't mind, he didn't want to be around anyone at the moment. He looked at the moon and remembered the stories his sister used to tell him.

The serenity of the moment was soon broken as a piercing scream tore through the calm night.

"GET OFF! PLEASE HELP!" Giyuu heard.

He instantly descended the roof and raced towards the sound.

Upon arrival he noticed a demon that had knocked a woman to the floor. It was currently crawling on top of her and making its way towards her head.

"NO PLEASE!" She screamed.

Giyuu unsheathed his sword and killed the demon without hesitation. Giyuu kicked the demon's body off the woman and it began to turn the ash.

The woman was stunned, not being able to entirely process what happened. She had turned down this street as it was a shortcut back to her home, but the man, he had just tackled her. At first she thought he was just going to rob her, but his face it almost looked... not human.

She looked at the man who had saved her, the night was dark so she couldn't see him in great detail. He held his blade up cleaned it before re-sheathing it. He turned and began to walk away and a crow landed on his shoulder.

"Wait... excuse me." She called out.

Giyuu turned and said nothing, instead waiting for her to speak.

"Thank you. I have no idea what he wanted with me, but it was so scary." She said.

"There is no need to thank me." Giyuu replied.

"What was that? It didn't even look human." She asked him.

Giyuu took a couple of steps towards her and his face was illuminated by a nearby light.

The woman looked at his face and was shocked at what she saw. She didn't know what she had expected the mysterious stranger to look like, but what she saw was not it.

Giyuu's eyes were very bloodshot and there were major bags under them. Dark fatigue rings framed his blue orbs and there was a scar on the left side of his face from his forehead to his jaw, narrowly missing his eye. Though she could tell that his natural skin tone was quite light, a lack of sleep had taken a toll on his complexion. The crow on his shoulder and his pale, tired looking features almost made him look like the grim reaper. If anything was evident it was that he was in desperate need of a good nights rest.

"It was a demon." Giyuu said.

"A... a what?" The woman asked.

Giyuu sighed, this was a common occurrence, the existence of demons was not officially recognised by the government and the stark majority were completely unaware of the dangers in the night.

"It does not matter. You are safe, leave the area." Giyuu said, leaving before the woman could respond.

As he left he turned and looked at nearby accommodation. He was tired and could feel the fatigue in his muscles but shook his head and began to walk towards his home.

He entered a woodland area and continued his walk. The cold night air bit at him but he refused to notice.

A sinister presence made itself known and Giyuu drew his blade.

"Hoho, a Demon Slayer, how unfortunate for me." The voice said.

Giyuu didn't respond and instead looked around trying to locate the source of the voice.