Chapter 37 - The Trial of Kamado Tanjiro and Tomioka Giyuu

Still with Giyuu and Shinobu at Headquarters

The two walked into the Hashira meeting having regained their composure.

Giyuu separated from Shinobu and began to walk over to the spot he used to frequent, the koi pond of the garden. He stared at the fish once again, it had been a long time since he had. The koi danced around each other in the pond and Giyuu smiled a sad smile.

Shinobu joined the Hashira but said nothing. She kept her fake smile but could feel the strain the façade put on her more than ever.

"So, it's true then?" Tengen asked.

"Yes." Shinobu answered.

Mitsuri looked at her with shock, not being able to contain her emotions.

"What exactly happened?" Rengoku asked.

"We were given a mission to eliminate the demons on Mount Natagumo. There was a 'family' of demons living there, led by lower moon 5." Shinobu explained.

"A family? Don't be ridiculous, you mean a nest?" Obanai asked from his tree.

"A family is what they described themselves as." Shinobu explained, clearly upset with the interruption.

Obanai scoffed at the idea and went back to saying nothing.

"The other members of the family were eliminated leaving only lower moon 5 left. Giyuu-san managed to slay it, that's when I found them. The boy on trial today had a demon in his arms that he claimed to be his little sister. I attacked the demon but was stopped by Giyuu-san." Shinobu said, earning a gasp from Mitsuri.

"He refused to let me slay the demon and restrained me." Shinobu said.

"So, he engaged in combat with a fellow corps member. He prevented a corps member from slaying a demon. He protected a demon, and he protected a corps member who broke the rules by protecting said demon." Gyomei said.

"Needless to say, those charges come with severe penalties." He continued, tears streaming down his face.

"Any one of those crimes would be punishable by removal from the corps. Put them all together... it wouldn't be too far-fetched to assume the penalty may be death." Obanai said from the tree.

"That's enough." Tengen said seriously, glaring at Obanai.

Shinobu's hands balled into fists, turning her knuckles white. The Hashira all fell silent, unsure of what to make of the situation.

"He broke the rules. There's no excuse." Obanai responded.

"He did." Rengoku said, notably lacking his regular enthusiasm.

"Tomioka-san has been a Hashira for years now, surely the good he's done outweighs this one mistake." Mitsuri said.

"It is true. But even still, the deeds of the once innocent don't exonerate them of the crimes they commit." Gyomei said, tears still pouring from his eyes.

"He's right." Tengen said sadly.

"Why are you all speaking so regretfully? He broke the rules, the punishments befit the crimes. Would you be saying all this if it was a random Mizunoto? Don't let your feelings cloud your judgement, you're better than that." Sanemi said.

"Do you ever take a day off?" Tengen asked.

"Do you have something to say?" Sanemi asked.

"Kocho is clearly distressed. This is a very serious situation. Can you for once just be calm?" Tengen asked.