Chapter 10 - The New Tsuguko

The Next Day at the Butterfly Mansion

Shinobu woke up after what was an emotionally draining visit to Giyuu's. Rubbing her eyes and adjusting to the light, she sat up in her bed and thought about last night.

He shared so much, who would've thought he was capable. But that story it was so sad, I never knew Tomioka-san held on to such grief. What I read in his diary and what he told me that night at the Wisteria house really was only the beginning. But I am glad he's finally sharing. Plus, it felt good to talk to someone about what I'm going through as well. Who would've thought it would've been with Tomioka-san. 

She laughed to herself for a moment and then exited her room. She completed her typical morning routine and then took care of a couple patients before finding Aoi.

"Aoi-chan, have you completed your chores this morning?" Shinobu asked sweetly.

"Oh good morning Shinobu-sama, yes I was just going to check on Kanao and the girls and make sure they were okay." The blue-haired girl responded.

"Such a diligent student. But before that, can we please talk?" Shinobu asked.

"Of course Shinobu-sama." She quickly answered.

"Good, then follow me." Shinobu said, leading Aoi to the garden.

"How was your visit to Tomioka-sama's?" Aoi asked innocently.

"Aoi are you implying that the visit was a date again?" Shinobu asked.

"No, no I'm sorry I was just curious." Aoi tried to quickly apologise, earning a laugh from Shinobu.

"I'm only teasing Aoi-chan relax."

Aoi sighed, clearly panicked.

"Have you considered Tomioka-san's proposal?" Shinobu asked.

"Oh, Shinobu-sama like I said I don't plan on leaving you." Aoi quickly said.

"I asked if you had considered his proposal. What are your honest opinions?" Shinobu asked.

"I..."

"Answer honestly Aoi-chan, I know when you're lying." Shinobu said sweetly.

"I would like it." Aoi answered honestly.

"I don't want to leave you master, but he is the water Hashira, and there's a lot he could teach me." Aoi admitted.

"I understand, Aoi-chan."

"Actually, you're the reason I visited Tomioka-san last night." Shinobu said, earning a shocked look from Aoi.

"What do you mean?" Aoi asked.

"Well, Tomioka-san asked if he could take you as his Tsuguko." Shinobu said, clearly exciting the girl.

"So what did you say?" Aoi asked, hopeful.

"I initially said no." Shinobu admitted.

"Oh I see." Aoi said dejectedly.

"But then, he explained to me exactly why it is he wanted you, and it... changed my mind. Aoi, if you wish to train with him, I give you my blessing to do so. Unfortunately that means you will have to leave me, but Tomioka-san will take care of you." Shinobu said happily.

Aoi stopped for a moment, clearly happy but unsure of what to say.

"But what about my responsibilities here?" She asked.

"Aoi, you have been an exemplary student and a dedicated medic. But please, do be selfish for once, besides it's only for five months and I can always ask for Kakushi to help." Shinobu said, reassuring her student.