Chapter 16 - The Young Butterfly Finds her Wings

Later that Night with Aoi and Giyuu

Giyuu knocked on Aoi's door, receiving permission to enter he walked in.

"I have something for you." Giyuu said.

"Oh, what is it Tomioka-sama?" Aoi asked.

"Well, it's just, on night missions it can get cold, and I noticed you only have your training outfit to use." Giyuu said.

"Did you get me a jacket? You didn't have to do that Tomioka-sama." Aoi responded politely.

"Oh, no... I... had this made for you." Giyuu said awkwardly.

Revealing the gift, Aoi saw that Giyuu held a Haori in his hand. It was similar to the green and yellow patterned half of Giyuu's, except it was coloured blue and yellow.

"Wow Tomioka-sama, thank you so much." Aoi said, taking the Haori and trying it on.

"Kocho told me your measurements, so I hope it fits." Giyuu said.

"It fits perfect, I love it." Aoi said genuinely.

"You're welcome, now if you are ready, it's time to go on patrol." Giyuu said.

"Of course, lead the way." Aoi replied, taking her sword.

An Hour Later

Giyuu ran quickly through the woods, holding himself back from top speed so Aoi could keep up.

"While you are on patrol in an area you have to be alert at all times. Make sure that nothing can suddenly attack you." Giyuu instructed.

"Yes, Tomioka-sama." Aoi called from behind.

The two patrolled the area around Giyuu's house for hours, Giyuu teaching her multiple ways to track and detect demons.

Giyuu felt a change in atmosphere, he knew the feeling, it was a demon. He then stopped abruptly, catching Aoi off guard.

"Do you feel anything different?" Giyuu asked.

"No, not at the moment, why do you sense a demon?" Aoi asked, getting on guard.

"Focus, and use your breathing, can you sense anything." Giyuu ordered.

Aoi focussed, using her previous training she sensed a faint trace of bloodlust.

"I can sense something." Aoi said surprised.

"Good, now where is it?" Giyuu asked.

"I think west." She answered.

"Are you certain?" Giyuu asked.

"Yes." She said.

"Good then let's go."

Giyuu obviously knew where the demon was, but this was a test to ensure Aoi was ready.

Arriving at the source, the demon stood over a young couple. Giyuu kicked the demon away sending it far back, hitting a tree.

"Aoi, make sure they aren't injured." Giyuu instructed.

"Understood." She quickly replied.

Aoi checked on the two teenagers while Giyuu looked at the demon. It hadn't recovered from the kick yet.

"They are fine Tomioka-sama, just scared." Aoi said.

"Good work, come here please." Giyuu responded.

Aoi appeared next to Giyuu.