Chapter 17 - Connections

Hours Later

Giyuu and Aoi arrived at the headquarters early for the meeting, entering a room of the building Aoi saw Shinobu waiting for them. She ran to Shinobu and hugged her, an act that was warmly reciprocated by her former master.

"SHINOBU-SAMA." Aoi yelled happily.

"Aoi-chan, I have missed you a lot. So have the girls, even Kanao, though don't ask me how I can tell." Shinobu responded with a laugh.

"Wow, that's amazing has she finally started making some decisions for herself?" Aoi asked, eyes full of hope.

"No, not yet, but she has at least gained the emotional range found in our mutual friend behind you, though she somehow is less talkative." Shinobu joked again.

"He's actually gotten a lot better." Aoi said, turning to look at Giyuu with a smile, which was returned with his typical look.

"Oh yes, he really does look like he has." Shinobu said sarcastically.

Aoi then whispered to Shinobu.

"I even saw him smile the other day, and he wasn't even eating that salmon dish you were talking about." She joked.

"That is incredible, you must teach me your ways." Shinobu responded, also whispering.

"Kocho, how have you been?" Giyuu asked.

"Aoi, did you even manage to teach him how to start a conversation?" Shinobu teased, earning a laugh from Aoi and a groan from Giyuu.

"No, he managed to learn that all on his own." Aoi joked.

"I have been good Tomioka-san, I have been taking my missions solo, but while it has been more effort it's not like I'm missing out on much conversation. So how have you been?" She asked, laughing at her first comment.

"I have been good, Aoi has been progressing very well." Giyuu said, causing Aoi to smile.

"That is good, I told you you'd do well." Shinobu said to the girl.

"Tomioka-sama is a very good teacher; I can't wait to see how well I will do in the future." Aoi said, her smile growing.

"I am glad to hear it." Shinobu replied.

"It has been easier to train her because she had already learned the fundamentals so, much of the credit belongs to you." Giyuu said.

"Even complimenting me Tomioka-san, perhaps I should've sent Aoi to you earlier than I thought." Shinobu said with a laugh.

"She has taught me a lot." Giyuu said honestly.

"I'm glad." Shinobu said, smiling at Giyuu.

The conversation halted momentarily, the two Hashira holding eye contact with each other. For a brief moment the two were content, not being surrounded by bloodthirsty demons and simply enjoying being normal. Aoi noticed and blushed, she was starting to become a mini Mitsuri.

"Do you like this? Tomioka-sama had it made for me." Aoi said, pointing to her new Haori.

"I do, and look at you Tomioka-san, appropriate gift giving? You're almost unrecognisable." Shinobu said.

"She comes with me on patrol at night and it gets cold, so I thought she should have something to stay warm." Giyuu replied.

"That is very considerate Tomioka-san." Shinobu said warmly.

It's the same pattern as that old friend of his, how sentimental Tomioka-san. She thought.

The three of them continued to talk for 20 minutes, and while Shinobu and Aoi carried the majority of the conversation, Giyuu was far from his typical silent self.