Chapter 33 - Collaboration

A Few Days Later with Giyuu

Giyuu was looking around the small town he'd been assigned to investigate. There was nothing out of the ordinary, the town was still very much active, and people seemed to wander around enjoying their everyday lives.

He still hadn't met with his partner. He'd hardly spoken to Obanai, but Shinobu had told him that Mitsuri and him had developed a close friendship. Kanroji was a good judge of character and anyone she was close with must have been a good person Giyuu thought.

He continued to wander until he saw a man approaching him from the distance. The man looked anything but ordinary as a snake sat calmly wrapped around his neck and his lower face was completely covered by bandages.

"Hello Iguro-san." Giyuu said politely.

"You don't have to use honorifics, it's a waste of time when we're working." The man responded sharply.

"Apologies." Giyuu said.

For once in his life Giyuu was the one initiating the conversation.

"So, we're partnered for the next few weeks then?" Giyuu asked.

"It would appear that way." Obanai responded.

Giyuu felt a bit awkward, not sure of how to speak to someone who didn't seem particularly interested in talking.

"Have your skills returned yet? Or are you still weakened?" Obanai asked.

"I have made a full recovery and my missions with Shinobu allowed me to regain my battle ability." Giyuu answered.

The use of her first name did not go unnoticed by Obanai, who wondered how close the two were. After all this was Tomioka, apart from the last meeting he rarely ever spoke to anyone.

"Good, then I won't have to slow down for you." Obanai said.

"No, you won't." Giyuu replied.

The air around the two was awkward. Obanai had been told multiple times by Mitsuri to be nice to Giyuu, but he found the water pillar so hard to get along with.

"Should we ask around for information?" Giyuu asked.

"Why would we need to do that? We can just track them at night, it's not difficult." Obanai argued.

"Shinobu always investigates the area when we go on missions, she says it makes it easier to pinpoint a specific location instead of having to search the whole town." Giyuu said.

"Do you not believe in my ability to track demons?" Obanai asked aggressively.

"I have never worked with you before, I do not know anything about your abilities." Giyuu answered.

Sanemi is right, he thinks he's better than us. Obanai thought.

"But you appear confident, so I trust your judgement." Giyuu said, stunning Obanai.

"Still, should we search the area?" Giyuu asked.

Obanai recovered from his brief shock and composed himself.

"Do as you please, I'm going to buy some supplies." Obanai said, leaving Giyuu alone.

Giyuu sighed and began to search the area for clues as to the demon's location.

I know Shinobu told me to try harder to talk to people, but this is so difficult. Giyuu thought.

Later that Night

Giyuu stood on a high roof top and looked out at the town, it was well lit, so Giyuu began to focus on the darker areas. He heard faint footsteps beside him and turned and saw Obanai.

Give Life a ChanceOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara