Chapter 44 - The Spiritual Core

With the Sickly Boy

The boy stepped through the tear in the invisible wall and was faced with a dark and cold place. Placing his foot on the ground he felt his foot get wet. Looking down he could see the slight reflection of water, though he could barely see in front of him and was confused.

"Why is this place so dark? It's supposed to be his subconscious." The boy said.

He began to walk around and felt a vicious cold.

"Seriously? What is this place?" The boy asked.

He continued to explore, and the place began to change. The water level rose, and the waves became choppy. The kid began to sink in the water. He was unable to swim due to his illness and his head dipped under.

The boy began to panic and thrash about. He thought for certain he was going to drown. Eventually the water level receded, and the boy began to struggle for air, coughing up some blood in the process.

The boy wiped some water from his eyes and regained his breath back. Looking around he could see a dim light in the distance.

The spiritual core? Well, it's the only thing giving off any light, so I might as well investigate. The boy thought.

He took a step forward and noticed the light continue to grow brighter. Confused, the boy continued to walk forward. Since arriving here this was literally the only lead he had so all he could think to do was keep walking.

The more he walked towards it the brighter it got, eventually becoming too bright to look at. The boy shielded his eyes and continued to walk forward. He felt a force pulling him down and he fell. He expected to feel solid ground or more of the water, but instead he was met by the soft and cold sensation of snow.

What? The boy thought.

He opened his eyes and the bright light from before had vanished. Looking around he realised the landscape had completely changed. He now stood on what he assumed was a snowy mountain. The only landmarks to speak of were the tall trees that surrounded the area, a small wooden house in front of him and the snowy path that lead to it.

"This place keeps changing. I've never heard of a subconscious realm like this." The boy said.

Waiting to see if the realm would change again, the boy was relieved to see that it stayed the same.

I guess this is his subconscious realms true form. How weird. The boy thought.

After standing outside for a while analysing his surroundings, he felt the vicious chill on the wind. He began to shake, his teeth were chattering, goosebumps lined his arms, and he began to lose feeling in his fingers and toes.

This guy must have some seriously good survival instincts if he can put up a fight in his dream world. The boy thought.

The extreme cold made its way to his lungs and the boy began to cough again. More blood came from his mouth and the crimson liquid mixed with the pure white snow on the ground.

The boy began to panic and looked up at the small wooden house. Deciding his best option for survival was to take shelter inside he began to walk towards it.

As he walked the thick snow began to crunch beneath his feet. The boy had to admit if it wasn't so cold this place was beautiful. An undisturbed, expansive woodland sheltering a small home from the outside world, it was almost like something out of a fairy tale.

Arriving at the front of the house he places his hand on the front door and pushed it open.

Immediately upon entering he felt his body warm up from its core. The boy felt like he was in heaven. Instantly his teeth stopped chattering and the goosebumps disappeared. He regained feeling in his extremities and took a deep breath of relief.