Chapter 42 - Departure

With Giyuu and Rengoku

The two Hashira were approaching the shed where the Mugen train was being held. The area seemed quiet and calm. It was extremely early in the morning and the sun had yet to even begin it's rise, yet they could still hear the sounds of work coming from the warehouse.

"So, what have you heard about the Mugen train?" Rengoku asked.

"Only that it is returning to service in two days from now and that 40 people were reported as going missing aboard it." Giyuu said.

"Then we have received the same information." Rengoku said.

The two walked inside the shed and were almost immediately spotted by a nearby worker.

"Excuse me you two, you can't be in here. This place is completely off limits to those not working on the train." The man said.

"Yes, I know. We were sent here by the railway bureau to deliver you these complimentary bento. As a reward for your diligence in fixing the Mugen train. Did they not tell you about us coming?" Rengoku asked.

"I can't say I heard anything. But I'd be a fool to turn down a free meal." The man said happily.

"YO EVERYONE! HE'S BROUGHT US BENTO!" The man yelled out.

Soon his co-workers emerged from their stations and happily took the boxes.

"Hey, take this to Tatsu, he's resting in the office. Nothing like a good meal to help you through sickness." The boss said.

"Yes sir." Another man said, taking a box from his boss.

"So, what's wrong with the train? Seems in fine condition." Rengoku asked.

"Right. There's no way it's a problem with the body or the engine. Word on the street is that it's a man-eating train. You have no idea how bad that makes us feel. So, now that it's being put back into service tomorrow night, we can happily fix whatever is wrong with it so those rumours can stop." The boss said.

"Tomorrow night? I heard it was due back in 2 days." Rengoku said.

"Yeah that was the original schedule. But they made that estimation when people thought there was a mechanical issue or something." The boss said.

"I see." Rengoku said.

Their conversation was cut short by a scream and Giyuu and Rengoku immediately jumped into action.

"Kanzaburo, alert nearby corps members, we'll need a medical team." Giyuu said, his crow cawed and flew off into the night.

Swords? Who are these people? The boss thought.

"HELP!" The voice shouted.

"THERE'S A DEMON HERE!"

Rengoku and Giyuu arrived at the source of the voice and saw a lime skinned demon with blue tattoos holding a young man hostage.

Rengoku and Giyuu drew their swords, but the demon sunk its claws into the man's chest and wrapped its other hand around his throat, warning them not to come closer.

The working crew arrived behind the two and saw the scene taking place.

"TATSU!"

"WHAT IS THAT THING?"

"SOMEONE HELP HIM!"

Rengoku and Giyuu stayed still. They knew if they moved to attack the demon would instantly kill the poor boy. A bento box laid on the ground next to the demon.