Chapter 47 - The Human Spirit

With Rengoku

"I will not become a demon." Rengoku said.

"But in your current state your body will decay and erode before you can reach your true potential. Think about it Kyojuro you could train for hundreds and hundreds of years and you'll never age. You'd never grow old, never die. You'd just keep on getting stronger. Why waste such natural strength and talent?" Akaza asked.

"Both growing old and dying are some of the most beautiful parts of being a human. The fact that we grow old and die is what makes our lives so precious." Rengoku said.

"The lives of weaklings such as the one next to you are precious?" Akaza asked.

 "Your view of strength is disgusting. Strength isn't a word used to describe only the body. It describes the spirit and the indomitable will one has. He has the courage to stand up to beings such as yourself to protect those who can't save themselves, that is true strength," Rengoku said.

Tanjiro looked up at the now serious Flame Hashira in awe, inspired by his words of bravery.

"You really believe he is worthy of praise? Why? Because he was injured but he was brave about it? How stupid." Akaza proclaimed.

"This boy next to me is not weak, don't you dare insult him. I'll repeat what I said again. You and I have different sets of values. No matter what the reason, I refuse to become a demon!" Rengoku yelled.

"I see." Akaza said.

Rengoku raised his sword, prepared to fight the demon.

"Technique Development: Compass Needle." Akaza said, stamping his foot into the ground.

A snowflake looking shape appeared underneath Akaza's feet and the demon got into a fighting stance.

Deciding he was ready Akaza lunged at Rengoku, cocking back his fist and swinging it hard at the Hashira.

Rengoku stepped to the side and managed to dodge the punch.

"Third Form: Blazing Universe!" Rengoku yelled.

He swiped his sword down hard and cut through Akaza's wrist, severing the hand.

Akaza laughed and jumped backwards, instantly healing the damage.

"You see Kyojuro, you're limited by your mortal vessel. JUST BECOME A DEMON AND REACH THE REALM OF THE HIGHEST!" Akaza yelled, launching at Rengoku once again.

"I REFUSE!" Rengoku yelled back, meeting Akaza with his sword.

The two began to fight at a ridiculous speed. Fists and legs clashed with sword as the two powerful beings clashed over and over.

What is this? I can't even track their movements. Tanjiro thought.

From his perspective all he could see were blurry figures clashing. Whenever the two would meet Tanjiro would see flashes of blue and sparks fly through the air.

So this is the power of a Hashira and an Upper Moon. How can I ever reach this level? Tanjiro thought.

Akaza threw a flurry of punches, but Rengoku managed to dodge or counter all of them.

"Amongst all the Hashira I've ever killed, there has never been a flame. I must say the style impresses me. So bold and forceful." Akaza said.

Rengoku swiped his sword at Akaza's neck and the demon had to dodge out of the way.

"THAT'S IT, NOW YOU'RE FIGHTING SERIOUSLY!" Akaza yelled., engaging Rengoku again with punches.

Akaza sent a punch towards Rengoku's stomach and the Hashira stepped to the left. Seeing another opportunity Rengoku swung his sword down towards the hand but was unable to sever it. The sword got stuck in the demon's wrist and Akaza began to laugh.