Chapter 54 - Public Knowledge

With Tanjiro and Giyuu

"So is it true?" Tanjiro asked.

"...It is." Giyuu answered.

"Tomioka-san, congratulations, I'm very happy for you." Tanjiro said happily.

"Thank...you." Giyuu said.

"Was it something you had been planning for a while?" Tanjiro asked.

"What?" Giyuu asked.

"Well it's just, you two liked each other for a while, so had you planned to ask her out before the argument?" Tanjiro asked.

"How did you know that?" Giyuu asked.

"Oh. You both gave off a happy scent when around each other, even when you two fought on Mount Natagumo. Even at the meeting when the two of you were clearly sad I could tell you two were drawn to one another. I also spoke with Shinobu-san after you two had your argument and she gave off a strong regretful scent when talking about you" Tanjiro explained.

"That is impossible." Giyuu said.

"I know it's hard to believe. But my sense of smell is so strong that I can just tell these things." Tanjiro said with a small laugh.

"That is... impressive." Giyuu complimented.

"Thank you." Tanjiro responded.

"To answer your question it was not something I had planned. It just happened." Giyuu said.

"Ah I see, either way I am very happy for you. I'm glad you were able to find some happiness. I will leave you alone for now then." Tanjiro said.

Giyuu watched the boy begin to leave and felt a small guilty feeling rise within him.

"Tanjiro." Giyuu said, causing the boy to stop walking.

"Yes Tomioka-san?" Tanjiro asked.

"I am sorry for not speaking to you while we were recovering, I hope you are doing well." Giyuu said.

Tanjiro paused for a moment, surprised at the emotion coming from the man.

"Oh... thank you Tomioka-san, but there's no need to apologise I know it must have been difficult for you." Tanjiro said.

"No, I was being selfish and inconsiderate. You attempted to talk to me but I refused. I apologise for that." Giyuu said.

"Wow, thank you Tomioka-san." Tanjiro replied.

"How is your wound?" Giyuu asked.

Tanjiro took a seat in the room and Giyuu joined him, indicating that he was now ready to have a longer conversation.

"It's healing, but because of how deep the stab was I can't accelerate the healing process with my breathing techniques." Tanjiro explained.

"I cannot either. The demon damaged my sternum so if I try to use total concentration it puts too much pressure on my heart and lungs." Giyuu said.

"So we both just have to heal the old fashioned way then." Tanjiro said.

"I suppose that is one way of looking at it." Giyuu responded.

"Are you progressing well? I haven't been able to start my rehab yet but Aoi tells me you've already begun to train again." Tanjiro asked.

"I wouldn't call it training. We only do small and low impact workouts and stretching, it's not exactly strenuous." Giyuu explained.

"I'm glad you're feeling good enough to start trying. Your battle with that demon was incredible. Inosuke and I couldn't even see your movements, we only saw the sparks from your swords, or you guys when you slowed down enough." Tanjiro said.