𝟒𝟔. 𝐁𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐌

Trigger warnings: none

***

Athena and Draco hadn't realized that they would have to be at yet another meeting. This was already getting too overwhelming, for the both of them. They just wanted this to end.

They were sitting at their usual seats. Athena next to Snape and across from her, Draco who was sitting between his parents.

Everyone was expecting Voldemort to appear. Athena was sensing that something bad was about to happen. And she wished she was wrong.

In a matter of time, the dark wizard was with them again. He looked at everyone, in silence.

No one was speaking. Draco and Athena would secretly look into each others' eyes, not being able to hide their need to make sure that their other half was alright.

"My dear friends," his cold voice was heard. "It has come to my attention that a Prophecy regarding me, was stolen from the Ministry. A very important one, I must say."

Athena didn't even dare to raise her eyes at him. This was not going to end well.

"But my dear friend Lucius here, managed to bring that very valuable prophecy to me," he laughed.

Athena gulped and then she remembered.

She had left Snape's office door unlocked.

Shit.

"A Hogwarts student who I won't name, found the prophecy and brought it to Lucius, by his request of course. And the place it was found, was actually really interesting."

Fuck.

''I have ruined everything,'' Athena thought.

"The prophecy was found in Severus's office," he finally said.

Athena felt him tensing up next to her. She had just put his life on the line.

"Care to explain why this was found in your office, my dear Severus?" Voldemort asked, with an underlying rage in his question.

Snape looked straight into the Dark Lord's eyes, showing no fear. "My Lord, I had just retrieved the prophecy for you. I would bring it to you myself. I just needed to study it first."

Athena felt herself relaxing a little. Maybe Voldemort would buy his story. He would believe him. He had no reason to think otherwise. Right?

"Oh, I see," Voldemort replied, his tone somehow ironic. "And what have you found?"

"Shit," she thought again.

Now Severus couldn't lie; because Voldemort had seen the prophecy, with his own eyes. He had to say the truth now.

Draco's heart was beating at the same pace as Athena's. He was scared out of his mind for her safety. What if Voldemort already knew that she was the other heir?

"I have found that indeed there is another Slytherin heir besides you, my Lord," he started.

His words erupted a wave of gasps around the room. Every Death Eater knew what this meant.