𝟒𝟗. 𝐀𝐋𝐖𝐀𝐘𝐒

Trigger warnings: Major character deaths, blood, violence

***

''The Dark Lord has taken the Elder Wand from Dumbledore's grave,'' Snape informed Athena, as they were staring outside; both of them were at the top of the Astronomy Tower.

They were back together at Hogwarts. Snape had now become the new headmaster of the school.

Athena had to leave Draco behind. He stayed at his home, with his parents. He wanted to be with her, but she talked him out of it.

Athena asked him stay there, with them. She believed it was for the best.

''Severus, I have to tell you something...'' Athena started talking.

''I know that the Wand listens to Malfoy, Athena,'' he sighed and looked at her. ''But Voldemort believes that I am the owner now, because I supposedly killed Dumbledore. That's why we had to alternate everyone's memories.''

Athena shook her head understandingly. ''I know that... But, that's not what I wanted to tell you...'' she said with caution, not taking her eyes away from his.

He raised an eyebrow. ''Go on then.''

She swallowed the lump in her throat, before answering. ''I have changed the wands. The wand that he has, it's not the real Elder Wand.''

Now Snape was looking at her, his mouth open due to his surprisement. ''What are you talking about?'' he breathlessly asked.

Athena started explaining to him everything about how she changed the Wands, with a replica that she had made, some years ago.

''This is crazy, Athena!'' he exclaimed, when she stopped taking. ''This was so reckless of you! Why would you do that?''

She smiled at him, melancholically. ''To save Draco, of course... I believe you should have known that by now. Everything I do, I do it for him.''

Snape looked at her, almost in tears. ''You are risking your life for that coward boy. You killed Dumbledore for him!'' he said through his teeth, feeling the rage taking over him.

''And I would do it again, in a heartbeat... But I also did it for you. I didn't want you to kill someone ," she replied. ''But Draco is my life now, Severus. I want to be with him, forever...''

Snape shook his head, now looking at the floor. ''I'm afraid this won't happen.''

Athena sighed. ''We will make it, Severus. Either me or Harry, we will manage to kill him.''

He looked at her again, with wide eyes. ''We are supposed to obey him, Athena! Not being his enemies! This is not they way I have raised you all these years!''

He was still acting like he was faithful to Voldemort, just to keep her at his side too. It was safer.

If she stood against him, she would have no chance of survival.

Athena bit her lip. ''I know... But I don't want to be that person anymore. And neither does Draco. We will help Harry kill him.''

''This is madness... Athena, you know this will never happen!" he said with a stern voice.

''It will!'' she insisted. ''There are two prophecies, right? Both of them say that the Dark Lord can be defeated, either by me or by Harry. So one of us will have to do it.''