Chapter Twenty Six

I push Chris against the wall, choking his collar. I notice his hand fly up, showing his palm. The guards behind me freeze, as he finally makes eye contact with me.

"Stand down." Chris sternly states, I hear the guns shift into a neutral position.

"Don't tempt me." I grit my teeth as he calmly allows my outburst. "Why the hell would you do this?"

"Wasn't my choice." I tighten my grip, showing the veins across my knuckles. "I'm following orders."

"I thought you were the boss, huh?! Who's giving the orders?" He looks at his wrinkled collar as I drop him, exploding my hands by putting them in the air.

"Top Chief—I don't know his name, his information is covered up to protect him from future enemies." I scoff and look at the guards, still holding their position if I attack.

"You don't see anything wrong with this?! You're torturing a woman who didn't ask for this!!" I shout as looks down in defeat, knowing more than I would like to figure out.

"He said to wipe out future creations of B.O.W's we had to start with someone whose blood can transfer easily into experiments." I rub my chin, and discuss my inner thoughts, inner plans..."they said she was the start to end all this."

"You realize that's impossible right?! How many years will prove that no matter what a new virus will break out—how many times we have tried to control those locations but unable to stop it before it got worse???" I look towards the guards, as they stare back at me, fueling my anger even more. "Tell me Chris" his head perks up, "Do you believe that Y/N is the start?"

"I think it's possible but not our main priority, Y/N hasn't hurt anyone in years—I have no idea why they would make her my objective." I snap up, slowly look over at Chris, his expression slowly reading mine as we exchange glances. "What Leon?"

"Do you have any paperwork of the Chief? ID? Old reports?" Chris shakes his head confused, as I start looking around in a panic.

"I can find our files and show you what we have." I nod enthusiastically as he quickly lifts his hand up. "Disperse, you're off." The guards all copy each other, allow space for us to walk between them. "What are you getting at Leon?" We angrily storm into the halls, our shoes hitting the tile.

"My personal objective, investigating a target I've been chasing for awhile." We sharply turn the corner, Chris checking his device.

"So the DSO didn't assign you this—who's the target?" I sigh, as he quickly presses his hand against the identification tablet.

"Nikolai L/N." I state as we rush into the room, I start looking through the files, as Chris does the same but in the opposite side of the room.

"Nikolai? Isn't he dead?" I shake my head, giving a mumble of a nope. "You think he's—"

"I don't think, I might know." I shut a cabinet aggressively and bend down to the next. We freeze as an alarm rings throughout the building, the darkness overfilling the room as a red light flashes in our faces. "Familiar."

"Come on, let's get this and go." Chris orders, I shake my head and continue digging through the files.

"I think you royally pissed her off this time." I hum as I finally found the name I've been looking for.

"Yeah no shit, Leon." Chris bickers angrily, I open the file seeing someone else's information--it was a cover up.

"Yeah no shit is right, Redfield." I hold up the file to his face as he reads what's on it. "A background check couldn't be done?!" I slam the papers onto the ground and make my way out of the room, seeing multiple guards lying down against the walls and floors. I run over placing my index and middle finger to their neck.

"They're alive..." Chris states astonished.

"She left them alive--she knew that they were just following orders..." I slowly turn my neck towards him. "From you."

No words to be spoken in this moment, because both of us knew what she was thinking. Y/N wants Chris, she's not petty and she can hold a grudge like no other. We're in for a show.