Recovering

I woke up in the hospital, my back throbbing in pain. I groaned and turned my head to see a sleeping Dewey, laying his head in my lap. I ran my fingers through his hair.

"What?" He mumbled sleepily. He picked his head up and met my eyes, instantly grabbing my hand. "You're awake." He breathed.

"How long have I been out?" I asked, wincing at the pain.

"Three days. How are you feeling?" He asked.

"My back is killing me." I sighed.

"Yeah that happens when you get stabbed in the back." He grinned, referring to the day in my house when I laughed at him for complaining about his.

"Well, I guess we're just an old couple now." I laughed as I remembered how I called him an old man. "Where are the kids?" I asked.

"They're in the cafeteria with our mothers." He said. "They got here yesterday."

"I want to see them. I need to see them." I said, squeezing his hand.

"I know. They'll be here in a few minutes, but right now we need to get you some more pain meds." He reached over and buzzed the nurses before kissing my forehead.

The nurses came in and have me some more pain medication before asking me a few questions and leaving.

After a few minutes Dewey's mom, my mom, and my kids came back inside. "Emma!" My mother exclaimed, rushing over to me.

"Mommy!" Two squeaky voices called. "Mommy! Daddy said you got a big owie! It hurts." Randy said, as he crawled into Dewey's lap.

"I know. But I'll be ok." I smiled, watching Dewey mess up his hair.

"Look! I lost a tooth!" Tatum piled down her bottom lip and showed me the spot without a tooth.

"Really!? Did the tooth fairy come see you?" I asked, giving her a weak high five.

"Yeah, he gave her a whole 5 dollars." Dewey chuckled. "If they loose anymore she'll go broke." Dewey looked down at his pockets. I chuckled at his joke.

"I missed you daddy." Randy sighed as he snuggled into Dewey's chest. I smiled, watching him hold his son close to him and make him feel safe.

"I love you Randy." Dewey sighed.

"I love you more." Randy giggled.

"Dang. Got me beat." Dewey tickled Randy's side.

"Mommy?" Tatum said to me.

"Yes honey?"

"Did that man try to kill you?" She asked.

"Well... baby you have to understand that there are good people and bad people. He was a bad person nd he wanted to hurt others. It's hard to understand right now but the more you learn and grow, the more you'll understand it." I explained to her.

"Did you... did you have to kill him?" She asked hesitantly.

"He was trying to hurt auntie Syd and auntie Gale. He was also trying to hurt your daddy. He killed a lot of people honey and I'm lucky that he didn't kill me. I only did it to protect people." I took her tiny hands in mine. "Please understand I didn't want to."

"I understand." She nodded. " I love you."

"Not as much as I love you."

A while after my mother took the kid home and Dewey's mom left, I had a serious talk with Dewey.

"I want to go back to Woodsboro." I told Dewey.

"What?" He asked, leaning his elbows on my bed.

"I want to move back in. My parents still own that house. Nobody lives in. Let's go back." I pleaded.

"Why do you want to go back?" He asked me, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Because I want to be in a small town. With no more problems. We can't escape these killers. We both know it's not over and they'll be wherever. It doesn't matter what town were in." I sighed.

"You can go back to being a police officer and pick back up as a teacher." I said hopefully.

"Are you sure it's what you want?" He asked.

"Positive." I smiled weakly.

"Then that's what we'll do."