Chapter 2

Going back in time – 2

It simply must have been love.
Yes, at the beginning, and until halfway through, it seemed like it.
There is no doubt about it.
The moment from when that feeling started to be distorted, I don’t know when it was.

***********************************

“Oh, it seems like Soleil-sama is with Silvia-sama again, doesn’t it?”

The friend who was walking beside me suddenly let a mutter slip out of her lips as she looked toward the courtyard. If you followed her line of sight, there were the figures of the two intimately cuddled together. Once again, a feeling of déjà-vu rushed forth.

In the academy courtyard, the figures of the two sitting on a bench placed in an isolated spot unexpectedly stood out. Do you realize what you are doing? Or is it that you do not care about the eyes of the surroundings? Even if there are not many passerby, the students who occasionally walked by sent flickering glances toward them.

“Is it really alright to not call out to them?”

My friend who stands out with her magnificent good looks passed a hand in her golden hair while asking me such. To her question, I gently shook my head.

“I’m thankful for Soleil-sama taking great care of my little sister.”

I smoothly uttered words devoid of any heavy emotions to the extent that even I think they are said in a pure tone. In a life that keeps repeating itself countless times, and especially to protect my fiancé who cherish my little sister from the surroundings eyes, I have said this line many times over. While your fiancé is not here, being alone with another young woman is not a behavior worthily of praise, however when the young women is your fiancé’s little sister, the circumstances are different. I knew that the words, ‘It is because eventually they will become family’, can become a correct justification.

“Ilya-sama, you’re very tolerant, right?”

My beautiful friend Marianne laughed without saying anything more. Because she knew I monitored every woman that came close to my fiancé. She used to be one of those women.

In my first life, I heard a rumor saying Marianne was planning to get close to my fiancé, so at once I went to give her a few words. “Do not approach my fiancé.” If I think about it now, my opponent was of higher social standing and I was the one who forgot her own position.

At that time, I didn’t have that much of a grasp about my surroundings and the comportment I should upfold. ‘A woman blinded by love’, that expression was the most fitting for the past me. It was such an incident that it would not have been strange if Marianne’s house had sent formal protest demanding compensation. Because misled by the rumor, I acted without confirming the facts and uttered false accusations. I wondered why the situation didn’t became serious and instead we became good friends in this current life.

“I do not feel like disturbing the two of you.” She said this and laughed with a gorgeous expression. “To come in between two people who are in love, I’m not such a boorish person.”

If it had been after that tea party, I would have thought those words were loaded with sarcasm, but the time when Marianne and I exchanged such words was long before my fiancé and little sister met.

That was why, when I had heard her words, I simply became ecstatic. From the surroundings' perspective, my fiancé and I looked like we had affection for each other. My fiancé seemed to like me. Because I was harboring such foolish illusions, my dislike of Marianne was turned into friendliness. In other words, the tolerant person was not me, rather it was her.

Then, as to why there was a disturbing rumor that ‘Marianne is planning to get close to Soleil’, everything was due to Marianne’s family status as well as her eye-catching gorgeous appearance. Her house held the first grade among the earls, it was close to Soleil’s family, and the plausible rumor was that if I hadn’t been here, it’s without doubt Marianne who would have become Soleil’s fiancé. Even if the rumor was put aside, it was a fact that Soleil and Marianne suited each other.