Chapter 20

If this is the real end – 3

Silver hairs and purple eyes, that were my little sister’s attributes. Since her birth Silvia had been special for our parents. Even though I didn’t ask her to, a young maid who loved to gossip had told me various information I had not wished to hear. Like the fact that those colors my parents didn’t possess had probably come from her biological mother. 

“… You are having your lunch in such a place?”

In the back yard of the academy, I was seating on a lonely bench that had been left alone as if it had been forgotten, the light meal prepared by the chef of the estate spread in front of me, when suddenly a quiet voice echoed. When I looked up, the student’s uniform told me he was from the knight curriculum. Since the color of his necktie indicated he was an upperclassman, I tried to stand up to greet him but he brushed his hand to force me to stay seated. From that gesture, I sensed he was someone of high standing. I was asked if it was alright to sit beside me, but I promptly shook my head to refuse. It wasn’t good for a person with a fiancé to be alone with someone of the opposite gender. It would be a different story if maids and servants had been with us, but after I quickly looked around I saw that no one was there. While inside the academy it could be said we were all fellow students, because everyone was from the nobility it was simply better to be careful. The fact that everyone was of noble origin meant there was a high possibility that everyone had a partner decided since childhood. Just shaking my head might not convey my refusal clearly enough, so I softly phrased my rejection. But when I did that the man from the knight division made a puzzled expression and tilted his head. It was an expression that said he never expected to be turned down. Gazing at his face, I realized that it seemed vaguely familiar. When you were part of the high society, you will become acquainted with most people. I had never talked to him but when I was looking from afar, I might have seen him have a friendly chat with Soleil. The way he carried himself seemed to indicated nobody ever refused him, meaning he was of a high social standing. Perhaps he was the person from the rumors that started several weeks ago, the foreign student who came from the neighbor country.

If I remembered correctly, it should have been someone from an eminent noble family.

If so, rejecting his request was not a profitable option. However, I wasn’t confident he really was the man from the rumor, so I thought I should not act carelessly since there was no positive proof. Even at the best of times, rumors that Soleil and I had some discord between us were already circulating. If it became known that I had been alone with someone of the opposite sex, the blame would likely fall on me. No matter how Soleil conducted himself, it was hardly probable he would be criticized. Because that was what it meant to be the son of a marquis. 

Keeping my face down to avoid to meet his eyes, I put the fruit I was holding back in the basket. I knew fully well it wasn’t a proper attitude, however, if I abided by the custom of this country, it was not the time to inquire about his mood. Because I didn’t know if someone would see us, I must leave that place as soon as possible. In the case he was really the foreign student from the neighbor country, I thought that my impolite behavior might become a problem, but there was no other choice but to feign and pretend being completely ignorant. 

“… You, under that expressionless face of yours, you are thinking about various things, right?”

Apparently, he seemed to have been observing me all that time. Mixed in his voice was a clear puff of laughter. I understood I was been laughed at but because I had not expected such a foolish manner of speaking I rose my head in spite of myself. Then, I met eyes with him who was standing, looking at me. When I swallowed a small breath and slightly bent my upper body,