Chapter 10

The Third Life and Thereafter – 2

Portentous of ill omen? No, it doesn’t make any sense. Because it’s too late, the calamity and misfortune are already happening. 

Looking at me who said such a thing, Crow opened his eyes wide and slowly smiled… at any case, that’s what it looked like. Crow’s beak which should not have been able to make any expression, certainly looked like it was slowly laughing; the black bird that was here was probably an illusion.

“…What you’re holding in your arms is your child?”

Why did Crow asked me about my child despite him being something that should not be visible? When I tilted my head wondering why Crow knew about the thing I was holding in my arms, it answered.

“Of course I know about it. Because I’ve always been watching.”

As expected, it was showing a smile on his face.

“I’ve seen you cuddling that child.”

“… Is that so?”

“I bet it’s surely adorable.”

“… yes, that’s right. Very… lovely.”

Even though it introduced himself with such ominous words, what a gentle conversation it made. When I moved my line of sight from the phantom which had said it was called Crow, my white arms that were forming the shape of circle in front of my chest stood out against the darkness of the room. Even though I certainly felt a heavy weight in those arms, I knew it was an illusion, because I couldn’t see the face of the infant I should have been holding. Inside the dim room, the outline of everything was very vague, I didn’t know with certainty what was here or what wasn’t. That’s why I couldn’t see the face of the child in my arms. I tried to believe this firmly.   

I knew he’s adorable. It cannot be helped he’s cute. Because he’s my child. Him and mine child. But, the child inside my arms didn’t have a face. I couldn’t even imagine the face of the child I wasn’t granted the chance to see.

“You, what on earth did you come here for? There is nothing here.”

When I questioned it while holding in my arms a phantom that was much more gloomy and sorrowful than the despairing darkness of the room, Crow laughed in a suggestive way while flying around. It said it was a bird but what a ridiculous way of laughing. 

“Didn’t you consider I came here precisely because there was nothing?”

It lightly jumped on the top of the dresser, turned its neck around once then tilted it in a charming way.

“What can you possibly be trying to mean?”

“Anyway, I guess I’m bored!”

Crow opened his large wings wide and turned on himself once. Or so I thought but the next moment,

“Nya”

Above the dresser, there was a black cat. Its body trembled with a sudden shaking as if it was brushing off something, then after it stared back at me to observe my reaction, it exclaimed,

“… Oh? It wasn’t to your liking?”

While rubbing its whiskers against its front paw, it tilted its head and said that women usually applaud when seeing this. 

“… I think it’s cute though.”

I don’t like it that much. When I said that, “That’s so? Such a shame, it’s really a pity,” it answered and smiled as if it didn’t care about it at all. When I was staring absentmindedly at its figure, the black cat suddenly jumped off the dresser. As soon as it landed on the floor, it turned back to its previous black bird shape.