Chapter 53

7 – The Eternity of Kaliarya Ignis – 13

After this, I immediately moved on to the next world. The magic square with its mysterious patterns started to shine before bursting out with light and disappearing. Inside the darkness, this scene was particularly distinct. It was so clear in spite of the fact my eyes were close. What a mystery. While I was thinking so, something fell at my feet.  

*pitter-patter*

I slowly opened my eyes and found out that my feet were standing on a puddle. Countless drops of water were falling from above my head and crashing on the water surface before disappearing. Was it raining? Realizing that I had become internally discouraged without noticing it, a sigh escaped my lips.

It wasn’t “the day” I had met Ilya. If it had been that day, I would have been in my bird form, flying across the sky. And I would have heard a singing voice coming from afar. But not a single detail corresponded. This place seemed to be a back alley, a place I was seeing for the first time. Nearby there was a store where you could eat, but the leftover food was scattered around, giving off an offensive smell. As it was raining there were no stray dogs or cats, but some strange insects without feet nor arms were crawling on the ground.

Was it once again a world where Ilya didn’t exist? As this thought suddenly crossed my mind, I became unable to step forward. Unable to even move my body, a helpless sentiment of impuissance overcame me and I sneered at myself with ridicule.

Despite the fact I wanted to look for Ilya by all means. The fear that was nested in the depth of my chest was turning me into a coward. What should I do if she doesn’t exist again? What should I do if I lose her once again? What should I do if I’m left behind all alone once again…….? It was ridiculous to shrink back just because I was thinking of things that hadn’t even happen yet, but it wasn’t impossible that they would happen. That’s why, I took several deep breaths, trying to pretend to be calm. It will surely be fine. This time, it’ll be fine. Everything is gonna be fine. Perfectly fine.

I, was fine.

Exhorting my trembling legs, I finally took a step forward. The moment I did so, a curious sight appeared in the corner of my field of vision.

It was a black mass.

At last, did I come across something that didn’t belong to this world? Rather than feeling amazed, there was something that strangely convinced me I couldn’t take my eyes off it. When I stared at it, a strange sound came from the black mass. “...e...” I immediately realized it was a moan. It was a small voice that couldn’t be heard if I didn’t strain my ears as the streaks of pouring rain intensified, but it clearly belonged to a human. As I approached, I saw two stretched out arms. I reflexively looked around us, but there was no one in sight. In the first place, what time was it now? Because of the rain, it was dim. But it wasn’t completely dark, so it might not be night yet. Anyway, even though we were in a back alley, looking at the silence that was ruling this place, I could tell it wasn’t a period of time where people were active.

“... .... p”

A person who was lying down here in such a place at such a time wasn’t normal. Seeing their state, this person couldn’t have arrived here by themselves, so they must have been abandoned by someone. I guessed they must have had their own circumstances. I continued to draw near, wondering what the hell happened to them. Their moans turned into clear words and resounded in my ears.

“...Hel...p.”

Simply put, it was a voice I knew. I didn’t even need to confirm the face. Just one word was enough to move my heart. As if it was beaten by a hammer. Immediately, my lips chew on the air and my tongue became entwined. Words wouldn’t come out well. The sound of the rain seemed to weave its way through a gap in the silence and made my eardrum quiver. I didn’t know how long it took, but pronouncing that single word was extremely difficult.