Chapter 51

7 – The Eternity of Kaliarya Ignis – 11

.... .... The thing called fate, in spite of being something that has been decided from the beginning, is not something that can be foreseen.

It happened only a few days after I had lost Ilya. As I was unsteadily roaming around downtown, a familiar figure appeared in my field of vision. “He” crossed in front of me, at a range so close I could have touched him had I extended my arm.

I gasped.

For a second, I didn’t understand what had just happened. I involuntary looked around only because of a conditioned reflex. However, there was nothing wrong with the usual tumult. The busy merchants were quickly walking by, the housewives were standing around and chatting, and the little kids were running all around. What unfold under my eyes was simply the same scene as a few days ago, when I came to buy flowers. When I once again looked forward, “he” looked over his shoulder, as if having been waiting for this right timing. I was convinced his eyes were softly laughing. As I thought, it’s a face I knew. I remembered this appearance that didn’t betray his real age and made him looks too young, as well as his frivolous smile.

But, why?

I rushed over with all my might and grabbed his arm. ... No, I tried to but failed. Reflexively, I blurted out, “Wait.” But he didn’t stop, he simply looked toward me. At that moment a young child run in front of him. I thought the child would surely bump into him, yet he didn’t stop and steadily continue to proceed forward. It was strange how, each time I lost sight of him in the crowd, he kept turning his gaze toward me. He didn’t say anything, but his eyes seemed to be telling me to follow him.

Amidst the bustling town, he kept looking back toward me. Yet, he didn’t bump into anyone. His gait was smooth, as if he didn’t have any weight, and his thin presence that was likely to disappear were I to blink felt like a dream or an illusion. As I followed his lead for a little while, before long we arrived in front of a small church. He stood in front of the door without going inside, finally turning over to face me.

“... Why...”

As I was chasing after him, a handful lot of questions filled my mind, yet now, I couldn’t put them into words. A lingering silence heavily weighted on us. His gaze that was pointed toward me wasn’t sharp at all, yet it felt extremely uncomfortable.

“Why... I do not have an answer to that question.”

Unlike me who couldn’t express myself well, he smiled and tilted his head. His overly composed behavior, almost too “normal,” conversely felt out of place. I hadn’t seen his face for years, no, for decades, or maybe even longer. Yet, he acted in a relaxed way, as if greeting a friend he had parted with only yesterday.

“Doctor. Why... are you, here? Or rather, why are you, still alive?”

I was clearly confused and failed to speak properly. Seeing me in this state, his eyes gleamed with happiness. This expression that showed his amusement was kind of funny. In fact, this chance meeting was strange enough it made me want to laugh out loud. Because the person who was facing me right now wasn’t supposed to exist in this world.

The first time we met was right after I sustained father’s spell. He examined me as I lied on the bed. How many years have passed since then? Even if I thought back on it, I didn’t know.

“I don’t have the answer to that question... But instead, let me ask you something.”
“Eh?”

This development was too sudden. I was supposed to be the one asking questions but in the blink of an eye our positions were reversed. “Hey, wait a minute, please wait.” I raised my voice once to try to stop the conversation, but he still asked me with his usual gentle smile,