Chapter 30

If this is the real end – 13

Continuing to hold the little bottle with my trembling hands, I hesitated on what to do. To restore my breathing that had become swallow, I inhaled deeply. Then I repeated this action several times. 

“My lovely little princess.”

Mother had made an expression that seemed to say she couldn’t help but to love Silvia so much. I had often seen her hold my little sister in her slender arms. Silvia and I were only born a few months apart. When the mothers were different, naturally, that kind of situation could happen. What had decided our positions as sisters had only been this interval of a few months. I often thought about this when I was a child. I thought about what would have happened if Silvia and I had been in reversed positions. Would have I too, just like Silvia, had my head gently stroked, would I have been embraced, would I have been told I love you so much I can’t help it.

“Silvia is mother’s treasure.”

She probably had never imagined the child she had given birth to was behind the door. Nor that it was slightly open and that her voice would leak out. However, I, who had slipped away from my room because I couldn’t help myself from yearning for mother, caught her words clearly. I had been slower than my sister to learn words, my way of talking had been doubtful for a very long time. I knew that I had disappointed my parents. But it wasn’t like I didn’t understand those words.

… … What about me?

When I was in front of mother, I always thought the same thing. If Silvia was mother’s princess, if she was her treasure, then, “what” on earth was I?

Staying immobile in the empty corridor, I stared at the appearance of my little sister embraced by mother’s arms. That night, because she heard Silvia had a fever again, mother had surely been nursing her. It was past midnight. The mansion was completely silent, I also had been dreaming in my bed, but I had woken up suddenly. It wasn’t winter. Yet, it was unusually cold, the empty and pitch-dark room was fostering an incredibly sense of loneliness. The tick tock marking the passage of time echoed, sounding somewhat frightening. I had sneaked away from my room in the middle of the night because I couldn’t bear this loneliness, because I wanted to be with someone no matter what. When my feet stuck out from the cloth covering me, a breeze that shouldn’t have been blowing indoor made my toes feel cold. Despite this I left my room barefoot. No matter how deep the night was, for security reasons the mansion wasn’t completely asleep. Relying on the faint lights burning in the corridor, I proceeded forward.   

I was scared.

For the young me, walking down this corridor had been the same as making a journey inside total darkness. Then, after struggling for a while, I saw an unexpectedly strong light. I noticed it was Silvia’s room when I heard mother’s voice. Her whispering voice sounded especially kind. I had believed this voice would surely rescue me from this irrepressible loneliness.

“… … Hm, my lady...?”

Suddenly, a voice resounded close to me, making me freeze. On the other side of the door that was only half-opened, I could see the maid who had brought the tea wagon. She was peeking in the room with only her face passed through the gap, probably because she hadn’t get any answer.

“I was told by Alfred-sama that you had returned but when I knocked on the door there was no reply… Since I heard you were feeling unwell, I thought that perhaps something had happened so… I am aware it was very rude of me but I took the liberty to open the door.”

“No, it is alright. Thank you.”

When I said that, the maid heaved a relieved sigh. She had probably judged it was an emergency so she decided to open the door but depending on the situation her behavior might not have been excused. She would naturally have received a rebuke from the steward and if it had been the room of the head of the house she might even had been dismissed.