Chapter 14

The Third Life and Thereafter – 6

“… … M-my Lady!!”

Along with the loud echo of the door being thrown opened, I heard the scream of a man.

My eyes moved from the head of golden hair at the tip of my field of vision to the other corner of the room where a boy was standing. Now, what time is it? What was I doing? Why was Crow in that place? Due to the medicine my consciousness was cloudy and I couldn’t collect my thoughts. Crow sprawling on the bed together with me, when was it again? A few hours ago? A few days ago? Or was it several months before? How much time has passed since then?

“Aaah! Aaah! Oh God…! Oh God…!”

Suddenly a floating sensation at the bottom of my stomach made me feel uncomfortable. Understanding I was hold up in someone’s arms, I tried to move my legs to resist but I couldn’t. Because the bed sheets were wrapped around me. Maybe because the man who was lamenting over something was trembling and sobbing convulsively, his heartbeat that was echoing in my ears was particularly fast.

“For you to be in such a place…!! Let’s go home, my lady…!”

Being called my lady several times made me feel painfully nostalgic and I remembered that even I had a time where I was called like this. That this man’s voice sounded familiar, was probably not my imagination.

“A…l… ?”
“!”

When I muttered that name, the big arms that were supporting my body shook greatly.

“I’ve come, to pick you up, my lady… that I’m so late, I’m really, truly, sorry. I’m so sorry…!”

While looking at Al’s face who kept bitterly apologizing for his mistakes as he grinded his teeth in mortification, I thought of the months and years that have passed by. The Al who was a young that I remembered was no longer here. “Let’s go home, my lady…” hoarsely whispered Al in a soft voice to soothe me. As if going home was the natural thing to do.

Going home, go, home, ho-me? I bend my neck while mouthing that foreign vocabulary whose meaning I utterly couldn’t comprehend. For me there was no place I could return to. Where on earth does he intend to take me to? After all this time, where on earth? In that state that was like being restrained, I could only let my eyes wandered around the room and when they reached its corner, they captured the figure of Crow as he was concealing his breath.

“Cr (ow),”

I tried to called out his name but swallowed down my words. I don’t know his name yet. The boy has not said his name even once. When I blurred out air instead of words, Crow, aware of my unsaid call or nor, put a thin smile on his lips and said,

… Good for you, right?

It certainly sounded like a voice, but Al didn’t notice and was about to leave the room. No, that’s not it. It’s not that he didn’t notice, rather Al couldn’t see Crow’s figure at all.

“… A…l, wa…it, wait…”
“It’s alright. My lady, you have nothing to fear. Your room was left as it was. Everything stayed in the same place. You can go back to your previous life, as if nothing happened.”
“Wr…ong...”

That’s wrong, Al. That’s not what I’m trying to say. Wait, please. I want to talk to Crow. I can’t go anywhere, put me down, please, put me down.

Because of my illness every single of my organ was not fulfilling its function properly. I didn’t even have enough strength to vibrate my vocal cords. When I tried to raise my voice, my lungs felt like they were torn apart. And so, I couldn’t voice my feelings and transmit the words I wanted to say. They probably won’t reach Al who looked like he was murmuring to himself in indignation. All I could do was directing my sight toward the inside of the filthy little room that was getting farther and farther away, toward Crow who was looking at me from there. His pitch-dark, pitch-black eyes that looked like they were refusing to reflect even light were appealing for something. Seeing this expression, I gained conviction.