Chapter 18

If this is the real end – 1

What was essential to do when I woke up in the morning, was to not get up until I was properly awaken. Even when a maid came close, until I could clearly perceive that I was “me”, I kept my eyes closed and concealed my breathing. After inhaling deeply and chanting my name several times, I would finally make the preparations to open my eyes. Telling me that everything was alright, I would greet the morning sun while praying that that time hadn’t come yet. Every time I needed the resolution to live through the day.

After that tea party, numeral deaths were recalled inside me. Along with the recognition that the same time has started again, merciless endings were thrust before me. That was why I had to take measures to save myself. Not letting Silvia die, not being abandoned by Soleil, continuing to remain by his side as his fiancé, as his wife. These were in other words, choices to protect myself, choices to save this love.

However, were they really the right choices?

“My lady, a sealed letter has arrived from the marquis’ house.”

The maid handed me a letter engraved with the crest of the marquis family after I finally got up from bed. Receiving a sealed letter was quite unusual. When I cut the seal at once, the familiar stiffed characters briefly informed me of the matter at hand. I read over it twice, thrice, checking the content. After finishing reading, a sigh unconsciously escaped from my mouth.

“… My lady?”

“Because Soleil-sama will come visit, I would like you to please make the preparations for lunch.” 

“Yes, I understand.”

“Also… about Silvia’s condition, how is she feeling today?”

“… about Silvia-sama?”

“Right. If that child’s condition seems fine, I would like you to prepare lunch for three persons.”  

As I asked this while soaking my hands in the bowl of water prepared for washing the face, the maid answered with a “I understand.” Although the visit was a bit too sudden, after assuming the letter would accurately arrived on the right day and time, it still could count as asking for an invitation. When it’s so sudden like this, it’s impossible to decline. It seemed like Soleil was asking for the permission to come visit, but in reality, it was an ordering behavior that was born out of his high status as a marquis. At the end of the letter, if it was written to invite my little sister by all means, then I could not disregard it. 

It seemed that Soleil was steadily deepening his intimacy with Silvia who had started to attend the academy. In order for Soleil who was in the knight division to come in touch with Silvia who was on the normal curriculum, he needed to arrange beforehand a time and place to meet. The school buildings were separated, and above all the cursus organization for the knight and the normal divisions were completely different. Since the knight training which contained actual fighting had a different schedule, if he didn’t contact her in advance, it would be really difficult to spend lunch time together. That was why the two of them eating in the cafeteria together attracted a lot of attention. Because despite the fact his fiancé was attending the same academy, he left her alone and spent time with her little sister instead.

However, it was highly likely that Silvia hadn’t noticed all these various circumstances. Probably not understanding well the structure of the academy itself, the young girl who was attending school for the very first time didn’t have any person she could call a friend either. For that reason, nobody pointed out the situation to her. Maybe at such a time it was my role as her older sister to show her the ways, but I knew it would be a bother if I were to cut into their conversation needlessly. Because of my foolish acts until now, because I threaten every woman who had approached Soleil, if I interfered now, people would say that I even kept in check my own little sister due to my jealousy. I understood that quite clearly.