Chapter 17

The dream that the Soleil of this life sees is – 3

Silver hairs were scattered on the white sheets. Like they were dyeing it. Certainly, while they didn’t bear the slightest resemblance with that child’s hairs, it still cannot be helped that they were somewhat similar. For me who lived in a world far away from reality, certainly, it looked like the color I was always yearning for. The eyes that looked up toward me were purple. While this color was rare in this country, in hers it’s said to be common. It made me remember of the skin I could never touch, it reminded me of that child’s… of Silvia’s appearance.

The fact that Silvia who was rumored to be a fairy or an angel died became well-know in the high society the following week. Moreover, she didn’t die of her illness but was murdered by robbers. The person who plotted it was her blood related older sister, the next marquis’s wife. A tremendous commotion shook the noble society. Because I was often away from home due to my work as a knight, I left the social interactions to Ilya, so they were many nobles acquainted with her. Therefore, they needed to prove their innocence. In the case it was judged they had lend a hand to Ilya, there was the possibility they would be imprisoned. Even if it wasn’t the truth, it was easy to fabricate a crime. The high society was always maintaining a perfect balance of the power relationships. On this occasion, some moved to try to crush the power of their opponents. Hence, in this situation the point of focus became our high ranked noble house. Originally, I just didn’t want to forgive Ilya. I requested my parents’ assistance, in order to condemn Ilya I laid all the groundwork possible and made every effort so that she couldn’t run away from her crime. However, whether if it was because she came from a third-ranked earl family, or because she had the status of being a marquis’s bride despite our divorce, cornering her required quite a considerable effort. Thanks to the cooperation of several people who used their influence to back me up, somehow, I was able to throw Ilya in the jails meant for the commoners. 

When I finished doing everything, the season has gone around. Since I didn’t hear that the sentence had been pronounced, she was probably still imprisoned. But, I was no longer interested in the future. She won’t be able to avoid capital punishment due to the nature of her crime, but the execution of the sentence won’t be carried out in public. The central figures of the country won’t allow the incident to be brought up again while it has already quieted down. I understood this already, and anyway, these days, I couldn’t gather the energy to do anything and felt very tired. Due to this tiresome feeling of loss that I couldn’t even put into words, I couldn’t get myself to go to work, and lingered in my failure. For a superior officer, an extended leave was only a term hiding the fact he was in reality sentenced to house arrest.

In such a situation, there was a certain gossip that reached my ears. A silver hairs, purple eyes girl was working as a prostitute.

She had a small stature and slender limbs; her upturned gaze was pure and innocent, it was said her ephemeral figure was almost like a fairy.

The more I listened to the rumors, the more it sounded like Silvia. When I actually went to visit her, their features were as different as heaven and earth but still, it was enough to make me dream of that child. Above all, that innocent gaze that looked up toward me, reminded me of that child. Just seeing that figure was enough for me.

“Soleil-sama, I, I cannot live without you…”

"... Could you become it? A reason to live."

Now, I felt that even if I heard it in a dream, I already couldn’t remember the tone of her voice. The palm of my hand lightly sank in the thin and hard mattress of the cheap bed. When I absentmindedly stared at the girl's appearance in a dreamy state of mind, a black shadow fell onto us. When she turned away her eyes from me, those big eyes opened wider and she raised a little scream. I followed her line of sight to turn around and saw the tip of a sword above my shoulder. The owner of that sword lurched foward. When I rolled on the bed while protecting the girl and fell down, an impact shot through my shoulder. My back banged on the floor before being assailed by pain. Then I noticed that leather shoes were stepping on my shoulder.