Chapter 49

7 – The Eternity of Kaliarya Ignis – 9

The day I found her.

While I was flying in the sky, having turn into a black bird, a familiar melody reached my ears. You could say I changed course to head in the direction of that sound nearly due to a conditioned reflex. I wondered where I had heard that sound but I couldn’t remember it clearly. However, while I kept turning in circle up in the sky, listening carefully to it, the memory finally came back. At the same time, a heavy weight stirred in the depths of my chest.

... ... It sounded overly familiar to the lullaby Emma used to sing.

It was a tune I hadn’t heard for a very, very long time. The flow of time was something that changed everything and anything, but things that were lost among this flow were numerous. The lullaby Emma used to hum was one of them. I thought that since I had a long life, I would have the opportunity to hear it somewhere one more time, yet that opportunity never came until this very day. Therefore, in the end, I was never able to learn which place had inherited that sound. It might be my own fault since I never proactively asked her where her birthplace was. Continuing to remember those who are no longer in this world was absolutely futile. As such, I think I was deliberatly trying to not reminisce about her. Then before long, I also forgot about the lullaby she used to sing. ...... I should have, and yet.

Thus, when I heard this kind song, I vividly remembered Emma.

Is that why? Ah, someone is calling me. That’s what I felt.

*
*

“You, you’re strange,” she laughed.

From my point of view, you’re a lot, lot stranger you know?  I said in a snort as I behaved like a child. I was half joking, half serious. When I did that, the girl... ... Ilya, heaved a little sigh. Then her lips curved into a slightly strange shape. It was a quite indefinable expression, so I couldn’t describe her emotion accurately. Eventually, Ilya whispered “That’s right,” without arguing. “I’m certainly strange, am I not?”

In the middle of the night, the room was wrapped in cold air even thought the window wasn’t open. The changing of seasons was always accompanied by a feeling that made goose-flesh run on my skin. When I relaxed my attention, my whole body shivered. Lately, my body responded as if it was “a living thing.” My five senses developed, I became able to sense it when the wind occasionally made my hairs sway and I regained subtle sensations like warmth, coldness or other comfortable feelings. My magical power and the doll created by Emma might have completely assimilate. I could probably no longer take off that “body.”

“Still, what was that?”

Changing my appearance from a black bird to a human figure, I stood by the edge of the bed she was sitting on. The interior of the room that was only lighten up by a faint light was always gloomy, but we could still see. I saw her indistinct silhouette rose her head to look up at me and smile. Her pale emerald iris containing an orange light was beautiful. Every time she blinked, it seemed like the faint light spread at the surface of her eyes would scatter. More than a gem stone, it was closer to a mineral. Before being polished, it’s something that wouldn’t draw people’s eyes, yet depending on the angle at which it reflected light, it would emit an unexpected glitter.

“You already know right? I can see things other people cannot see. ... And so, what about the baby you were holding in your arms a while ago?”

When I asked her such questions, Ilya’s eyes slightly widened, then she once again made a bitter smile, “I guess I did that, right.” She was smiling even thought it wasn’t funny, that was laughable in itself. I didn’t like this and frowned in silence. Maybe she noticed it, but her thin lips remained fixed in a smile as she told me, “There is something else.”