Chapter 54

7 – The Eternity of Kaliarya Ignis – 14

While immersed in despair, I still amassed magic power over several years, then I drew the magic circle to fly to the next world. It was the same process as usual, nothing changed... nothing should have changed and yet.

Alongside a tempestuous sound, countless lights shot up from the magic circle at my feet. While the particles of light dispersed in all directions like living creatures wriggling away, my body was soon swallowed by them. Up to this point, it was the same as last time and the previous one and all the ones before. The problem started next. Something different than before occurred. Suddenly, all the lights disappeared. Not knowing what happened, I tried to infer what was the matter, when I noticed the magic invocation had been suspended midway. Just as I assessed that fact, darkness swooped down upon my head and my vision was dyed black.

Goosebumps ran on my back as I felt like the ground was crumbling under me. In fact, it wasn’t just a figurative expression, I was really “falling.” Should I say I was taken in by the magic circle? To put it simply, I guessed the magic failed. And like this, I couldn’t move on to the next world. I had readied myself for such a thing to happen one day, but why, why must it be now? It would have been so much better if it had occurred earlier, or even far longer before. The moment I thought that everything would end now and my mind was dominated by a feeling of acceptance and resignation ... ... I heard Emma’s voice.

“In the place I was born, black birds were said to bring both good and bad luck at the same time.”

Rather than saying that I “remembered” her words, it felt more like her vivid voice whispered close to my ears right at this moment. My throat tightened. Her sigh brushed against my ears and tickled the back of my neck. I knew she couldn’t be here. Yet, I turned my head and looked for her figure. Of course, beyond my line of sight, there was only an infinite darkness.

... ... This, what does it mean?

My mind couldn’t keep up with these developments that happened one after the other. As I was looking around helplessly, something quickly passed before my eyes. When I looked up reflexively, as if this gesture became a signal, my field of vision opened. It was a mysterious scene that looks like white paint was thrown on a black paper.

The black was repainted into white.

Similar to the night that brightened when dawn breaks, the darkness cleared up. However, it wasn’t like the sun shone upon it. There was no lighting or anything that could serve as a light source. It was similar to a unexplainable world beyond natural providence or theories developed by humans.

Rather than calling it bright, it was more correct to say it was white. Above, bellow, on the right or the left, it was white, white, white. I felt overwhelmed by the looming pure white world. While looking around, it felt like even my own silhouette became blurred. Will I also eventually become part of this white world? That thought had lingered in my mind for a brief moment when suddenly, “a black dot” appeared at the edge of my vision.

It looked like a simple stain, but when I stared at it closely, I noticed it moved. It was moving away slowly. Maybe, the thing which was flitting before my eyes a while before was this. When I tried to move my limbs, I felt a resistance as if I was swimming in water. However, it wasn’t like I couldn’t move, so I chased that “black thing” as if drawn by it.

As I progressively closed down the distance, the black dot grew in size and gained an oblong contour. It didn’t take long before I became able to distinguish what it was. At the same time, the inside of my chest suddenly started to make sound and it wouldn’t lessen.

Wings. It looked oblong because “it” was spreading its wings. In other words, it was “a black bird.”

The black bird which couldn’t understand the unrest my heart felt was eagerly flapping its wings, heading somewhere. Where did it want to go in this infinite world that seemed to have no end? When I opened my mouth to call out to it, abruptly, the black bird started to turn and headed toward me. Black wings, black eyes. Even its beak was pitch black. The color of our eyes was different, but it closely resembled the bird I changed into when I transformed. It was almost as if I was confronting myself.