Chapter 24

If this is the real end – 7

I exhaled, and a big air bubble escaped my lips. It’s painful, I can’t breathe. As I thought that and opened my mouth wider, another bubbled rose up. My throat opened to inhale air. But my lungs didn’t expand, instead I felt like throwing up as my lungs were pressured by a squeezing weight. Even though I wanted to cough, one bubble after another left my mouth and that choking sensation didn’t change. Or I should rather say, I couldn’t breathe.

A disagreeable burbling sound echoed as a bubble extended and covered my face. When I stretched out my arms in anguish, something coiled around my body shook greatly and went away. But it returned to its former position the next second and bound me. My hands reached out, my fingers broke through something and felt the air. A splashing sound echoed in the distance. At that moment I finally realized where I was.

I was sinking. I was submerged inside the water. In other words, I was drowning. I hadn’t noticed until that moment because I had lost consciousness. I probably woke up abruptly because my body was warning me. It warmed me that if things continued like this it will die. When I remembered I was taking a bath until a moment ago, then naturally, I understood I was in the bathtub.

I tried to straighten my posture with one hand and stretched out the other to support my body but it wasn’t going well. The palm of the hand that should have used the bottom of the bathtub for support didn’t stop slipping. Finally, one of my legs lost its footing and made a loud noise as it broke through the water surface. Following it, the other foot sank and made an even louder sound. As I kept struggling, my upper body remained completely submerged, and yet, I felt the pain going away. I thought that perhaps my consciousness was becoming hazy, but I had no way to confirm it. In the first place, I was inside the water, all the boundary lines around me were vague and fuzzy. Even the fact I was drowning, I wasn’t sure if it was real or not.

“… …. ! ….dy! …. La… dy!... Ah, lady…..!! My lady!!”

I could see someone’s face beyond the blurry water surface. I couldn’t make out their traits because of the blurriness, but from their figure it was probably a maid. Did she notice from the sounds, or did she come check the situation because I was taking too long? While repeatedly calling me out she was plunging her arms in the bathtub, trying to lift me up. But it was impossible for a woman alone to raise a person with a similar stature. My body further sank to the bottom of the water. I intended to swallow my breath in one gulp but a large quantity of water entered my throat. I felt my vision getting darker.

“…. Someone! Someone!!”

The sound was muffled but I could hear the maid call for help. It seemed my ears were still working. Soon, several maids came, alarmed by the noise and I was finally rescued from the bathtub. Is what I like to say but it was only to the extend of extracting my upper body from the water. When I grabbed the arm of a maid while coughing violently, I noticed she was trembling. The maid looking at me with a face that had lost all its color was Merge. Her heartbroken gaze distorted by pain pierced my chest. While I kept coughing again and again, quite struggling to catch my breath, at the same time I was thinking with a cool head. I couldn’t believe I made such a blunder.

Taking a bath by myself was not commendable, but drowning in the bathtub wouldn’t simply end with turning it into a laughing matter. As I was no longer a child, all the responsibility lay with me. The daughter of a noble should borrow the help of maids to bath. At least, someone should have stayed in the bathroom. Because I was the next marquise. Protecting myself was an obligation imposed as a “duty.” In other words, it meant I had to do my utmost to protect myself. I ought to have known this and yet… “… fu” Did I expire in order to escape from the pain, or was it to scorn my own idiocy? Even that, I no longer knew anymore.