Chapter 29

If this is the real end – 12

What Soleil’s friend was really trying to tell me “at that time,” even in this life I still had no idea. Even from now on I’ll probably won’t understand. Yes, I hope I won’t. I was already sick and tired of the things that happened at that time. And perhaps, unless the situation became the same as at that time, he will probably never make such an expression again.

The wife of his friend was imprisoned.

It might seem like an incident that concerned him closely, but it truth it was no more than someone else’s problem. Even if he could understand his friend’s grief, there was no room for pitying the jailed fiancé who he had never talked to. On the contrary, he might hate her. Her, the sinner who made his friend so grieved. And yet, he came to that place. Despite us being no more than mere acquaintances. Perhaps, he really harbored hatred toward me and he purposely came to see my unsightly death. Yes, I certainly used to think so. To think he came to laugh at me and scorn me.

However, I was probably wrong. That’s because he was a noble. In the first place, nobles weren’t existence related to places like prisons. I didn’t know how it was for the relatives of an inmate, but if the prisoner was a perfect stranger, it wasn’t a place you would come on a whim. The people in your entourage would probably frantically try to stop you. Not mentioning the issue of hygiene, it was unthinkable for a noble to come to a place where who knew what kind of diseases were running rampant. Moreover, the prisoners were brutal and offensive. Even if an escort came along, no one knew what could happen. That’s why no one would try to send a noble to a prison. That being the case, he must have personally wished to come here. Maybe, he even had to pay quite a sum to do so. If they let a noble enter a place like this, the prison’s guards would also have to make sure everything would end safely, so they probably demanded a reward for that.

He came so far to see me. And then, he apologized while crying. I didn’t understand the true meaning of his words but, he seemed to grieve over my death. And I had the feeling he regretted the fact he couldn’t do anything to help. … … If that was indeed the case, then…

“Did he know that I was falsely accused…?”

When I reached that thought, I shook my head thinking, even if he did, so what? Now it was too late for this. Yes, everything was already “too late.” The false charges against me were something that was first established after Silvia’s death. Someone who felt my existence was in the way, took advantage of Silvia’s death to put the crime on me. In other words, the trigger for everything was Silvia’s death, and as long as she would be alive nothing would happen. That’s why making Silvia live became my objective. In all my lives, after that tea party I started to move in order to protect her. I shamelessly asked the marquis’ wife to detach an escort for Silvia. In the shadows, I specifically moved against that band of robbers. Currently, I was still a student so my strength wasn’t enough, but since it had been decided I would marry Soleil, I at least had the backing of his marquis house. So, before long the people who will try to use their power in my back will gradually assemble. I was aware of this. By birth, Soleil was a high ranking noble and he was extremely vigilant, only the people he truly trusted remained by his side. It was well-known that unless a person was introduced by someone trustworthy, he wouldn’t deepen the relationship into a truly friendly one. Maybe because of this, there weren’t only people with solid background around me, people with suspicious lineage also gathered. If they couldn’t come close to Soleil, they tried to do so with his fiancé. It was a natural mentality. By all rights, it wasn’t hard to keep this kind of person away. For something of that degree, if I used the strength of the marquis’ house said to be in control of this country’s dark side, I could easily put some distance between us.