Chapter 44

7 – The Eternity of Kaliarya Ignis – 4

The fear that I might have become immortal was about to drag me in the darkness at any time now. While I felt a dangerous omen, depressive days continued. Seeing me like this, Emma seemed very anxious. But maybe she felt I couldn’t say anything, so she didn’t ask and just watched over me.

“……I think it’s really a pity for your father. But there isn’t much I can tell you about.”

In order to put an end to these helpless days, I went to see the soldier who had come to inform us of father’s death. It was said that because he was the second son of a low ranked aristocrat, he didn’t need to inherit the peerage so he joined the army. However, he told me while laughing that he never had the resolve to become a soldier and it only happened because he didn’t have any other choice. He made light of it and said that even if he had to head for the frontlines, he used to think he’ll probably never lose his life. I think he was overly optimistic, but strangely I was also convinced people like him also existed. Maybe he guessed what I was thinking, but his wrinkled eyes softened. “I’m always told I don’t think about anything.” Maybe it was truly the case. Because he welcomed me, who abruptly came without a prior appointment, just based on the fact I was that man’s son. “You’ve grown up a lot,” he beckoned me in while making a somewhat nostalgic expression that was awfully impressive. Partly because I had grown up and partly because it had been several years since the last time I met him, I felt he had become older. That man who had retired from the army after being injured in the legs explained he didn’t need the help of a cane if it was just to walk a bit around, but while he said so he sat down on a chair, moving very slowly. As could be seen, he looked quite sturdy. Once sat down, he looked like the very picture of health itself. Just as I was absentmindedly observing his gesture, he sighed and said, “…That’s not good, not good. I’ve strayed from our talk.”

“The truth is, you see. There is something I never said to anyone.”

He was probably living alone, for his house became as silent as death. There seemed to be several other rooms to welcome guests like the one I had been invited to, but there was no sound at all. There was not a single shadow to be seen, and the house that was too big for someone living by himself was completely silent. Seeing me looking all around, the man laughed, “It’s a compensation.” It seemed you may be given a house if you served the country for a long time.

“Now then, about your father… no, about your dad.”

I didn’t know why he reformulated his sentence. But there might not have been any meaning behind it.

“…Yea- yes.”

Not minding my awkward nod, he started to tell me there were many things he didn’t understand about father’s last moments.  

“It’s said he was killed in action, but that’s not entirely true.”

“……..eh?”

This sudden confession took me by surprise and I lost my words. When I stared fixedly at his face, the man bowed his head, “I am sorry.” I couldn’t grasp what he was apologizing for and sank in silence. Then he followed by, “I am sorry for lying about him being killed in battle.”

“At that time when I informed you of your father’s death… , I, it’s not that I meant to lie to you. But, since the real cause of his death was what you’d call a state’s secret, I didn’t dare say it.”

“…”

His deep sight echoed in the silent room.

“Your father was…. he was dispatched by the country and seemed to be doing some kind of research. I didn’t know what it was about though. Even on the battlefield he carried with him a bulky stack of documents on magic. He was clutching his pen while frowning and making a serious expression.”