Chapter 27

If this is the real end – 10

Ultimately, I simply watched my little sister’s entry on stage. As if I was looking at the events happening in a distant world. There was nothing to put into words, nothing to interject, I was simply “here” like an ornament. If this was a stage, I would be applauding at the appearance of the protagonist, but this was an unfortunate reality. I could only watch this too good to be true story unfold before me.

There wasn’t any person who would notice that I was looking at this scene. That’s how much of a minor character I was. However, perhaps I wasn’t even a character of this story, perhaps I was only an onlooker.    

“I heard that Soleil-sama was having lunch with someone.”

Silvia who suddenly appeared in the cafeteria shyly declared this while lowering her eyes.

“Oh, I see! When you heard Soleil was eating with someone else, you came to see that woman’s face!!”

I thought this cheerful voice somewhat sounded like it was acting out a play. Saion’s piercing voice echoed in the dining hall, gathering all eyes on us. In spite of saying the same things as Silvia, didn’t the way he phrased it gave a different impression? Although his words could be taken as unpleasant sarcasm, if you examined his expression you would know there wasn’t such a thing and he was simply teasing her. As the target of his prank was Silvia, an awfully charming scene was displayed in front of our eyes.

“…n-no, that’s wrong, I-I was…”

The cheeks of Silvia who denied Saion’s words with her head hang down were bright red. Somewhere inside the cafeteria, voices mixed with sighs exclaiming “so cute!” leaked out. Indeed, my little sister was very adorable. Better yet, it seemed she even charmed the persons of the same sex. When seeing Silvia’s appearance, the people around us would relax and smile. Even if those persons didn’t know her. She had something that made people want to protect her.

From the moment Silvia appeared, I had been severed from “this world.” This world where Silvia and Soleil, as well as Saion existed, was separated from me by a glass window and the other side I was in became overshadowed. I slowly breathed in and out, grasping my fingers tightly. If I rose my fist, surely, I could break that glass. If I employed force, then it wouldn’t be hard to enter the other side of this window. But I would be the only one hurt by the splinters of the broken glass. They would surely criticize me. For getting in the way of their rest, of their enjoyment. I would be the only one hurt by their thoughtless words, they wouldn’t even notice how they injured me.

I pressed my lips that almost drawn an arc unconsciously and looked at them as if nothing had happened. The three of them who didn’t notice my gaze, were laughing as if this incident was really amusing. In the first place, it was impossible for Soleil to have lunch with an unknown girl of doubtful origin.

“But I’m truly glad. That the one you were with was big sister.”  

Walking to the chair beside me, Silvia who had bent her knees to peer into my expression narrowed her eyes. Even though she had realized the one sitting opposite to Soleil was me, was there really any meaning in expressively confirming my face? Silvia’s cold breath grazed my cheek. She looked truly relieved from the bottom of her heart, and while floating a smile she innocently removed her line of sight. That Soleil was eating with another person, Silvia wasn’t concerned if it was me. That was surely the case. When she said she was glad I was the one here, her words only carried this meaning. Because the one who would have been hurt if Soleil had been having lunch with another girl would be Silvia. So, she was probably thinking it was great Soleil’s partner for lunch was me.