Chapter 26

If this is the real end – 9

It was Al who reacted to the dry knocking sound that resounded several times. I guessed he had sensed someone’s presence before the door was knocked. He gazed at me, seemingly asking me what should be done, but I had no other choice but to nod. I didn’t know who it was but they had probably come while knowing I was inside the room. But for a short while Al didn’t move from his spot. As there weren’t any maid right now, only him could open the door. Looking like he wanted to say something, he curled his lips and heaved a little sigh before speaking in a low voice, “We will continue this later.” He probably wanted to make sure his voice wouldn’t reach the other side of the door. Then he suddenly closed the book and quietly returned it to me. “Is it alright with you?” He asked to make sure, but I couldn’t answer anything. Instead I directed my gaze at the door to urge him to show the visitor in. For a moment, Al’s looked displeased, but he didn’t say anything and followed my instructions.

“Please, wait a moment.” I followed his back with my eyes as he turned toward the door while raising his voice.

He probably had sensed I would no longer talk about this matter. If I was only able to muster my courage once, it could be said it would have been at that one moment. But I did not do so. If I was to borrow someone’s help, that person would surely be Al. Now that I had lost the absolute existence that was Crow, speaking of a person I could trust from the bottom of my heart, it was that escort knight. That’s why, I knew I must cherish him. I was barely holding back my wavering and sinking heart that was about to tumble and fall at Al’s feet.

“… … Big sister…”

The voice of my lovely little sister called me back from the sea of thoughts I was immersed in. Her nervous face slightly red, she was standing behind the door opened by Al. I immediately realized she had a fever. Silvia entered inside the room while walking unsteadily and heavily breathing. The short distance from her room to mine had put her breathing in disorder.

“Silvia, you should be resting right now.”

When I propelled myself up while calling out to her, Silvia asked with ambiguous words as she threw a fleeting glance toward Al, “It’s the same for you, big sister. I heard you had drown in the bath…” Then she suddenly fell silent. It seemed she was hesitating whether it was alright to talk about this here. Drowning in the bath was due to my own blunder, and if people heard about it, it could become a drawback for me. If you only looked at that part of her, I thought that child too seemed to be growing properly. “Al knows so it is fine to speak about it,” when I told her that with a smile, Silvia also released a small sigh and smiled. This ephemeral and fragile face somewhat made my chest ache.

She was truly concerned about me. Silvia was very kind. She was pushing herself despite her poor condition to visit her sick older sister.

“Hum… if it is alright with you…”

Al supported Silvia’s wavering body until she reached my bed. My little sister who hanged her head, saying “I’m sorry” with her cheek dyed red, was so lovely people couldn’t help but see her in a favorable light. She aroused the desire to protect her in every member of our family. The scene of my escort knight leading such a feeble girl by the hand was extremely natural and didn’t have the slightest sense of incongruity. But somehow, I tilted my head, feeling a kind of discomfort as if something was “wrong.” Something appealed to my intuition that the problem was with those two. Wasn’t the pairing of Silvia and Al wrong? I probably had this feeling because the person beside Silvia wasn’t Soleil. I suddenly realized I was surprised at myself for having such a thought, and I heaved out the breath I had hold unconsciously. Surprised by how conspicuous my breathing sounded was inside the room that had fallen silent again, I shrunk my shoulders. The pain and distress I felt weren’t from my imagination.