Chapter 9

The Third life and Thereafter – 1

“… … My child, where is he?”

A voice sounding like it was absentmindedly dreaming was risen amidst the sunlight.

“Ilya? What’s wrong?”

Soleil’s pair of eyes tinged with a trace of harshness seized me. Silvia, who had appeared much later than the appointed time, had just settle down on the prepared seat. She tilted her head with perplexity and called out “Big sister?” While keeping her figure at the edge of my vision, when I blinked once, I recalled the scene of Soleil and Silvia exchanging words while gazing at each other. The two of them sitting side-by-side and crossing their gazes, I remembered that this made me felt like I was about to cry while thinking it was some kind of mistake. I just looked on as Soleil’s pupils were reflecting Silvia and he was smiling gently.

 … … What is this? What on earth are you saying?

As if to shake that floating sensation that was lingering at the back of my eyelids, I casually put down the cup I was holding on its saucer. The porcelains stroke against each other and made a big resounding noise, the overflowing black tea spread on the tablecloth. Even though it was my own hand, I couldn’t move it the way I wanted. The greatly shaking fingers grasped at the air. A lady should not conduct herself in such a manner. But I didn’t care about that.

“Where is my child? Who took him?”

My own voice sounded distant. The scene spreading out in front of my eyes, was that tea party where Soleil and Silvia met. No, that’s wrong. That was already over. I gave birth to a child. Soleil’s child. I wonder, is it a boy, or a girl? Which one is it? But I’m sure of it, I certainly did give birth. I, sticking it out through the pain and suffering that were enough to die, I was blessed with mine and Soleil’s child.  

“What are you saying Ilya?”

Soleil stood up and seized me by the arm. No, I hate it, it hurts, let go. After such a long time I finally have a use. Leave me alone. I gave birth to the child by myself.

While spitting out incoherent words, I shook off Soleil’s hand and pulled the tablecloth, searching for my child whose name I didn’t even know. The maids must have taken him. Even though I told them to not use a wet nurse, was my opinion not taken into account at all? Or did my parents in law put their hands in the matter ahead of time and took him away?

I haven’t held that child yet. I haven’t even seen his face.

“Give him back, Give me back my child …  … !!”

Confronted with my screaming voice, Silvia lost her bearing and called out “Big sister!” in confusion. As she was calling me with her usual sickly-sweet voice, she asked me “What happened?” while clinging to my body. But with her too slender arms, she couldn’t hold me back as I was struggling in madness. 

“Let go! Don’t touch me!”

Yet, at the moment my swinging arm was about to hit Silvia’s face, my instinct kicked in and told me to not injure my little sister. While I was still confusingly holding my arm stopped in mid-air, my lips arbitrary words out:

“Or is it you, is it you who snatched my child?”

“What are you saying… … ?”

“While stealing Soleil-sama from me, you also took my child right…!”

Give him back, give him back, give him back! Give me back everything you stole away from me! While screaming I grabbed Silvia thin arms. When I reflexively loosened the strength of my fingers after seeing Silvia’s face distorted in pain, this time it’s my arm which is twisted up by Soleil. Was it Silvia who raised a scream, or myself?