Unfulfilled promise

Somehow I got time with Jake, after I attended my union's so called duties. We two were sitting at the staircase which leads to the surface of the waters of the Han river. It was dark. Dean was with him and he went to pic up the loud motorbike from the garage. 

The moon looked like a silver disc hanging in the lonely sky. Lasers of moonlight as bright as diamond touched the river's surface and were glowing like soft platinum.

"Beautiful.." I muttered under my breath and Jake noticed it.

"I heard you met my brother" Jake asked me looking at me sideways.

"He's really kind and sweet" I said and smiled. He heaved a sigh and said 

"I can't figure out, what am I doing?" Jake said as he held his head in his hands and I stared at him, confused.

There' s no way I can reduce the chance of them fighting, when I don't even know where to start from. 

"Jake...can you not fight?" I asked him and I didn't look at his face instead stared at my feet. I can feel his shocked eyes on me.

"I'm fighting for something I need to protect, but I am under no pro-" before Jake could finish I heard the loud engine of the bike, with its bright lights stop in front of Jake.

"I guess, goodbye" Jake said and mounted the seat of the bike and Dean nodded to me. Whether I was scared or guilty, I became tongue tied by hearing Jake's words. But one thing I was sure of is- I'm hopeless.

*

"Are you free, Miss Park?" Kingsley asked me on the phone, but I was in cram school, and it had just ended. 

"Y...yes" I said, I didn't even glance at my phone and took a taxi to Yeoinaru for some work Kingsley gave me.  The evening was approaching and breeze became cold and I shuddered as I slid the taxi's window down.

I feel weird...I feel so detached, is everyone alright? Ben, Alex and Gerard are in school and everyone else are in cram right now, there's nothing to worry about or is it..?

Baekjin's office and the rooms surrounding it were empty, even he wasn't here himself. I collected the papers and I could hear two people talking in the opposite room, I leaned in to listen.

"Today's Ben and Jake's fight, who do you think will win?" his words pierced in my ears and I gasped loudly, t..t...to...d..day?

"Who do you think will win?"

"Jake, duh"

"Nah Jake's just doing because he owes Na something"

I didn't hear the rest as I was perplexed by what those people said, I suddenly noticed my phone and there were Teddy's eight miscalls, forty minutes ago.

Did something happen? My insides went churning and frustration came in as expected. My mind turned into a mess and no one directed me in the path where should I go? To the school??! No? What if my dream is true? What if Ben becomes injured. What if something happens to Gerard??! Should I run?! Ambulance???! Injured?? What if Eunjang is all done and Ben die--

My phone rang, it snapped me out of all of my thoughts. It was my aunt.

"Selena..? What's wrong..your voice? Something bad going on?" 

"Something hellish" I said, my voice became horse, as I was holding in my tears.

She paused for a whole minute and then said 

"Sel, I don't know your situation, I won't ask, but we all want to run away from something hellish, we think that the situation will change by the passing time, it doesn't happen that way kiddo, you can't change your situation, the only thing you can change is HOW TO DEAL WITH IT"

She finished this all in one breath and huffed through the phone.

My eyes gazed at the complete sun which was ready to set, the orange creases became dim, the sky had a shade of dark ink blue, the buildings were in view , but it still sank in its own beauty. At that time, I firmly decided to not to run away from this situation anymore,

I took the papers with me and rushed to Eunjang without any thought in my mind, anxiety pilling up to the awaiting scene.

I reached and noticed everyone. I saw everyone in Eunjang were staring at Ben and Jake who were bruised and bloody, yet were fighting like mad hounds. My legs went weak. I could feel my stomach turning and twisting.

A loud thud and Jake fell on the ground and Ben stood up staring at him.

In an instant, before I could even sigh, another guy who's face I never saw before slammed Ben's neck with a stick, and Ben fell straight on the ground.

Alex ran shrieking and boxed that guy on his face, but he was ganged up, my throat went dry, why am I standing..Then suddenly Gerard and Teddy interrupted.

My ears were shut and I could hear no sound except my heart beating aloud and Alex was being beaten up to death. What...is happening...My breath became hitched and it felt like the air was leaving my lungs, I clasped my chest.

Then in an instant, I heard a loud WHAM. Ben had was awake and was punching a guy repeatedly. He feels.....dangerous...Ben....It wasn't Ben. In that moment, Ben's words rang in my head like music.

"If anything goes wrong, snap me out of it"

My mind cleared and I could feel air once again present in my lungs. I went forward, my feet moving at its own will. I'll do it for you, brother, I'll snap you out of it. 

I stood beside him and curled my hand into a fist and punched his face with all my might, even though his arms were busy in hurting that guy, my fist lightly made contact with his bruised face, amidst all of that, and his elbow almost hit me but Gerard was just behind me. He stopped it.

Ben froze and stopped, he muttered hoarsely

"Sel..?"

Jake kneeled in front of the other guy's body and said

"Ben, he maybe a  bastard, but he's still a part of Daehyeon, I can't just let you beat the crap out of him. I admit, I lost" Jake said, his injured face looked down and me being me, kneeled and hugged him tightly.

"What...are you..?" Jake said as my arms were tight around his back and my face rested near his shoulder.

"Selena..what?" I heard Gerard say, and loud gasps from the background.

"Jake...you are the best" I muttered as I tightly grabbed his shirt and hugged his warm chest with all my might. I failed to keep my promise to Kenny. I thought in dismay.

 "Did I go extremes...did I do right... am I your friend...will you be here...?" he asked as his voice broke down and tears welled out of his eyes, as he swayed his palm over the back of head and hugged me back. He was trembling.

"I'm your friend, I'm here. You did the best thing" I said 

*

When the brutal fight came to an end, we all sought refuge in a convenience store table, as it was raining, the drops thuded lightly against the ground.

"Sel, are you okay?" Ben asked in a soothing voice, that thing tied a knot in ,my throat and my tears broke down into a river.

"Y..y..ou....i..dio..ts" I muttered amidst of my sobbing.

"Oi, why are you crying?" Ben asked probably alarmed.

"Park...you can have my coffee" Alex said quietly as I had my glasses in my hand and was rubbing my eyes which were clouded by tears. 

Everyone was nervous, because I was crying. I wiped my nose, with my shirt's sleeve.

"Y..ou oka..y?" Gerard asked, I nodded when my tears stopped flowing and I felt light.

The sky was dark blue and was lined with the beautiful dotted stars.

"You all need to treat your injuries" I said

"Thats right Selena.."Gerard said and when he was saying that I saw his right eye, he should consider getting a haircut. He's mysterious. He caught me staring , I quickly averted my eyes and my chest thumped loudly.

Why was I so concerned...? I didn't know, new feelings were blooming in my little world, which seemed to be preoccupied with violence.